1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jjdelta, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jjdelta

jjdelta Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm the IT person of an office. One of the people I work with just bought this new laptop but is unable to connect to the wireless system in our office. I am at loss over what to do. The laptop sees the network and when I try connecting to it, it connects me, but once I try using the internet I get disconnected immediately. If I connect but don't use the internet it will keep me on for only a few minutes, if not seconds. Also, when I am connected I try ping-ing the gateway but I get 100% loss with a request timed out. The signal is strong so that can't be the problem, also other laptops are able to connect to the network so I know that's not the problem. I don't know what's going on it's like this laptop is refusing to connect to the network. The network is not secured, if that could have anything to do with it - I checked the firewall and it's disabled so that's not the problem either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What is the make/model of the wireless router/access point? Did you disable any non 802.11b/g extensions or "turbo" mode settings in the router? That will sometimes cause an issue.

Does this laptop connect to other wireless networks? Does the laptop connect using a cable?

3. jjdelta

jjdelta Thread Starter

How do I do that?

It's a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz Broadband Router.

I don't know if this particular laptop has ever connected to another wireless system. I don't think so, but it can connect through a cable.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In the wireless section of the Linksys router configuration, you want to disable any non-standard extensions to the wireless protocol. Since you didn't provide the model, I can't be more specific.

I'd also try that laptop at some WiFi hotspot to see if it's an issue with the laptop or your local wireless network configuration.

5. jjdelta

jjdelta Thread Starter

The model is WRT54G.

6. gurutech

gurutech

Make sure you have the latest firmware for that router. I have the same model, and had to upgrade the firmware before I could use the wireless.

7. jjdelta

jjdelta Thread Starter

OK thanks I'll try it and get back to you if this doesn't work. Thanks for your help

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Since others are connecting successfully, I'd think twice before upgrading the firmware on the router. What is currently an issue with one user could turn into an issue with several users.

First see if the laptop can connect to any other wireless networks (i.e. hotspots) before making any changes to the company's infrastructure.

9. gurutech

gurutech

Wow - I missed that line...

If the new laptop is running SP2, make sure that the WLAN client utility is NOT enabled if the WZC service is running. That will cause conflicts up the wazoo...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice