1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tommyauvergne, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tommyauvergne

tommyauvergne Thread Starter

Hi everybody,

I'd like to know if anybody has had a similar problem or knows of a solution to something that's been driving me nuts for a few days.
    I have a netbook running XP that's been working fine up until 2 days ago. I've been able to connect to my home router automatically since I bought the netbook.
    2 days ago I went into town and connected to the towns free wifi network while having lunch. The network was VERY slow so I only used it for a few minutes then turned if off.
    Got home that evening and found I couldn't connect to the net. Looked into things and it seems I can see the network - with a strong signal, but when I try to connect the message of doom appears - impossible to connect to your favourite network etc.....
    I've tried deleting and adding the network, checking the key - WPA2, restarting the system, restarting the router, disabling and enabling the card, checking the firewalls and making sure all relevant boxes are ticked or not ticked. Even did a complete system scan with Norton to make sure nothing dodgy is going on. Even tried to restore the system, but obviously each time I roll back, anither message of doom - a problem occured ....
    I've also got a Vista laptop next to the netbook that works fine and hasn't been affected.
    The funniest thing is that this afternoon the network connected for a few minutes, then disconnected at will!!!
    I can always see my home network, but just can't connect ! I think something malicious happened while I connected to the public network.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!:(

System details,

XP SP2
    Atheros AR 5B95 Wireless Network Adaptor
    ISP Orange France - via Livebox (don't think its the problem)

Thanks in advance for any help....:D

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Go my network places/view network connections/right click on the wireless entry/properties/wireless networks and delete all but your local home network entry.

3. tommyauvergne

Thanks for the quick reply, but already tried that. The only network I have left is my home network. Even deleted that yesterday and started from fresh but to no avail.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

OK:Let's see this.How your laptop see's it's environment.

From a Johnwill post on the Networking Forum

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous IPCONFIG command output! Do NOT type <computer_IP_address> into the command, that won't work. Also, the < and > in the text is to identify the parameters, they are also NOT used in the actual commands.

Do NOT include the <> either, they're just to identify the values for substitution.

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 74.125.45.100

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above. (For Vista/Win7, the IPv4 Address)

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. tommyauvergne

Thanks, I've tried with the commands, but with IPCONFIG/ALL all I get is this
    so can't find IP address , DNS etc, what am I doing wroung?

Microsoft Windows XP [version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas Robey>IPCONFIG /ALL

Configuration IP de Windows

Nom de l'hôte . . . . . . . . . . : TomNetbook
    Suffixe DNS principal . . . . . . :
    Type de noud . . . . . . . . . . : Mixte
    Routage IP activé . . . . . . . . : Oui
    Proxy WINS activé . . . . . . . . : Non

Carte Ethernet Connexion au réseau local:

Statut du média . . . . . . . . . : Média déconnecté
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet C
    ontroller
    Adresse physique . . . . . . . . .: 00-26-22-1B-F3-09

Carte Ethernet Connexion réseau sans fil:

Statut du média . . . . . . . . . : Média déconnecté
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5B95 Wireless Network Adap
    ter
    Adresse physique . . . . . . . . .: 00-26-5E-7A-8D-CA

C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas Robey>

Sorry all the info is from a French netbook:rolleyes:

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

Your ipconfig shows no active wirreless device,so how do you see your home network?
    Let's see this:
    Let&#8217;s take a look at the status of the network adapters

Device manager:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.
    1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?
    4. Under general tab should be enabled and working properly.
    5. If error code,what is it ?

Is the wireless indicator light on.What color.Solid or blinking ?

7. tommyauvergne

Thanks again for the quick response.
    Just been fiddling in the mean time and did two things.... I reset the router, instead of turning it off and on, the added the command line -

netsh winsock reset catalog

which I read was supposed to clear the catalog manually.

Then restarted the machine and voila!!

Just rebooted twice now and it seems the connection is back to normal.:D
    If this holds out, thanks for all your time and interest.
    If it starts to play up again, I'll post more details as needed.
    Still can't get my head round what the hell happenned:confused:

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Router resets,holding the reset button in for at least 15 seconds,sometimes is the silver bullet. :D

9. tommyauvergne

lol, I was thinking of something slightly more challenging. Even contemplating taking the morning off work to solve the problem. But no....... reset:D

Thanks again.

10. pedroguy

pedroguy

Humm:
    A nice stroll,a glass of fine French wine,hot buttered French bread.
    Sounds pretty good to me..

11. tommyauvergne

hah!! apart from the train strike they're planning tomorrow and the inflated tax at this time of year... the wine is well needed:D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/884484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice