Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't connect to wireless or ethernet

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
My Operating system crashed yesterday and I had to reinstall it, thus deleting everything off of my computer, including my configuration for wireless internet.

I installed the wireless adapter (Netgear WG111v2) like I was supposed to, I put the most up-to-date drivers for my computer to use the adapter as well as for the adapter to operate. It detects signals just fine, but when I put in my network's WPA passcode, my adapter gets stuck in this loop of "acquiring network address" and then dropping it and "acquiring network address" again. This baffles me because the code has worked on other machines.

Then, when I tried to connect my computer via ethernet cable, not only would my computer not connect to the internet, it's not even showing ethernet connection as an option in my Network Connections.

I really have no idea what to do at this point. Can anyone help me with this?

#4 ·
Kage:Here are some things about your environment that we generally need to know.
Tell us the things you know.

The “Johnwill” need to know about your environment questionnaire:

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

What country are you located in.
Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
What is the expected Upstream/Downstream speed for your ISP Connection?
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Make and model of your computer.
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP1-SP2, Vista, etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms? Have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way? Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?

If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

#5 ·
I'm in the US.
I'm using Comcast.
I'm not sure what the speed is supposed to be here. Whatever the standard for high speed cable internet is I suppose.
My modem is a Scientific Atlantic DPC2100.
My router is a Netgear WPN824 v2.
I have tried to connect both wired and wireless. Wireless connection was attempted with a Netgear WG111 v2 adapter. My wireless signal uses WPA encryption.
My computer is a Dell Dimension E520.
I have Windows XP SP2 Media Center Edition on my PC.
The only internet browser I have installed on my PC is Internet Explorer. I haven't used it yet since I have not had an internet signal.

When I open "Network Connections" on my PC, even if my ethernet cable is plugged in, I don't see any option for the wired connection. I don't have any icon for the wired connection in that window, and when I plug in the ethernet cable, nothing happens. The computer lights up when I plug in the cable, as though it recognizes something was plugged in, but nothing else happens. When my wireless adapter is plugged in, my computer says it's "acquiring network address", but then drops the signal, and tries to "acquire network address" again. I have already put in my WPA code, but it will not connect to the wireless signal.
I don't know how to disable the encryption on the router. I'm not sure which computer was used to set up the router, and if I do disable the encryption, I'm not sure how I would set it up again. I would like to try that to see if it works, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

All other computers in my house are not experiencing any of the problems that my PC is having. All of them can connect to the wireless signal just fine and are also able to connect through the ethernet to get online. I'm actually using my laptop to post on this forum since my PC is completely unable to get online right now.

Here are the messages I get for all of these:
PING 206.190.60.37: "Pinging 206.190.60.37 with 32 bytes of data: Destination host unreachable"

PING yahoo.com: nothing. The window quickly disappears without any message.

NBTSTAT -n: nothing. The window quickly disappears without any message.

IPCONFIG /ALL: There was a message, but it disappears so quickly I can't see what it says.

How else can I view these messages?

#6 ·
You need to follow the instructions exactly.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

Note that there is a space before the -n or the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the - or / in the following commands.

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.