1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect via static IP but works fine via DHCP...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pubcrawler13, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pubcrawler13

pubcrawler13 Thread Starter

Hi all, first time posting here and hoping someone can help me out!

As the title implies, I am having trouble connecting to the internet, but not my network, when I assign a static IP to my machine. However, when it's set to DHCP, it works just fine.

Pertinent info:
    -I'm connecting to a Linksys WRT610N router via a wireless USB adaptor, Netgear WNDA3100v2;
    -Service is Time Warner Roadrunner cable;
    -There is no IP conflict as I've got DHCP range set from .200-.249 and this machine's static is .100;
    -All the other devices in the house are on static starting with .101 up and they all work fine, both wired and wirelessly;
    -Can see and connect to all devices in the LAN, including the router, but nothing outside

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

2. pubcrawler13

A quick update... I verified that I can successfully use MAC filtering to give myself a "static" IP within the DHCP range, thus achieving basically the same goals, but I'd still desperately like to know why simply assigning a free static IP shuts me down. Thanks in advance for any help.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you using an IP within the range specified in the router settings?

Are there other machines on the network that may already have that IP?

4. pubcrawler13

Thanks for the quick response.

I've actually tried a hundred different IPs at this point (quite literally... I've tried everything from .100 to .199), just to be sure, and they all do the same thing.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can use MAC address filtering to allow or disallow certain adapters from connecting to the network, but to assign a non-changing IP address you use Dhcp reservation. Unless, of course, Linksys has decided to use very non-standard terminology (I haven't checked that particular user manual).

Rather than trying to get somebody to guess why your static IP assignments are not working please show for one of them ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

6. pubcrawler13

As I said, I'm now using DHCP reservation and achieving the same results - my issue is that as soon as I switched to this Netgear USB adapter, setting a static IP in the connection properties kills my connection whereas it was perfectly fine before the switch. I'll post my ipconfig later, i was justhoping someone might have an idea offthe top of their head.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/979008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice