1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect with Broadband

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by nick reynolds, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nick reynolds

nick reynolds Thread Starter

Here in the UK. Signed up with Wanadoo. Installed modem they provide. Can't get connected. Have spoken to their helpline about 10 times. Gone through all procedures of disconnecting other extensions and having modem go through splitter from main BT box. Used different microfilter and different cables. Reinstalled software. Wanadoo have gone to BT who have done various tests on the line and say the line is ok. The USB light on the modem stays green (which shows that the computer connects to it ok) adsl light flashes which means it's not connected to broadband.

So I'm stuck. They say they will send a new modem which could take 10 days. It was always my intention to connect with their modem but then change to a linksys router modem. Have now bought one and tried installing this but this doesn't work either. it may be though that I haven't got all the settings right. I get green lights on lan and ethernet and red on dsl internet.

Any ideas?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so have you entered all the correct details into the lynx router.
    username password etc
    have you got a fixed IP - do you know it?
    I dont know your router on mine - it has at the login screen - after entering all the username details a cnnection status

whats the model of the router

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    just in case its a cable - when you changed on the lynux router dir you change all the cables as supplied?

also is it lan or usb

4. nick reynolds

Linksys wag54g.
    Connects via network card. The wanadoo modem connects via usb.
    Have entered username and password.
    Not sure about fixed IP - will look into it

5. nick reynolds

ip address is dynamic not static

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. nick reynolds

Sorry can't get them to download. Assume its the same as on the cd that came with it. Anyway lights are from left to right:
    Power - on green
    Ethernet 1-4 - 1 is on green
    Wireless G Wlan - on green
    DSL internet - 1st light off 2nd light on red

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yep - i guess its the same
    so
    power
    wlan - active on wireless
    Lan - on if PC connected
    adsl - on = succesful connection - blinks while establishing
    act - network activity across
    session - on if session is established

doesnt sound like its connecting via adsl correctly.
    you may need to get BT to check again
    try looking through all the settings again - i spent days having a problem a missed a character out in the username once

have a look at the troubleshooting appendex in the manual

9. nick reynolds

Have checked troubleshooting. Although BT test says line ia activated and ok. Someone has suggested that maybe it can't cope with 1mb broadband. On the Bt site they say that to get 1mb with their package, they may need to send out an engineer

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    does that mean you dont get anything at all or a reduce bandwidth
    you have two devices not working correctly.
    i guess you will need to have a chat to BT again - or wait for the new modem and shout at wannado

11. nick reynolds

I don't connect at all. The suggestion is though that if I get reduced to 512k at their end, then maybe I could connect.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    oh - dont know enough about that bit - sorry your in the hands of good old BT

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If your modem could detect the signal, it would at least indicate a connection. It doesn't.

The speed at this stage is immaterial as you have not actually been able to connect.

Even with incorrect settings I would expect the modem to indicate the presence of the ADSL signal.

Either the cable connecting the modem to the phone line is incorrect, or the filters are incorrectly installed, or your phone line does not actually have the ADSL signal on it yet.

Connect a phone to the ADSL socket on the phone line. Listen to the phone. It should be quite "noisey" with clicks and background noise. You would not mistake it. That would indicate ADSL signal may be present. A quiet phone line (sounding normal) would indicate no ADSL signal is present.

14. nick reynolds

Always late reporting back solutions! Sorry! problem was that I hadn't been connected up at the exchange! No one knows if it was BT or Wanado at fault!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice