1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect with remote desktop across the net

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nadavu, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nadavu

nadavu Thread Starter

I have a desktop computer at home running windows 7 ultimate, and I'd like to be able to access it with my laptop, running windows XP home edition. I've configured my desktop to allow being connected to by all versions of remote desktop, and indeed I can connect to it with my laptop while at home (that is, when both desktop and laptop are in the same network). I do that by entering either the desktop computer's name or its private IP address (the one assigned by the router). I've made sure to forward the 3889 port to that specific computer.
    Of course, the whole idea is to be able to access my desktop while not at home, but I can't seem to be able to do that. I enter the IP provided to me by my ISP, and I get the message that "this computer could not connect to the remote computer. try connecting again. if the problem persists, contact the owners of the remote computer or the network administrator" (I'm translating, my XP is in Hebrew). Trying again does not help.
    Also, I don't know whether this is significant or not, but if I try to connect to my desktop with my laptop while at home, I can't do that by using the gateway's IP. I have to use the private IP address.
    just to be sure, I've tried disabling the resident windows firewall and my antivirus, but it did not help.
    I'd appreciate your help!
    Nadavu

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi nadavu, and welcome to TSG.

If your router connects to the Internet through a modem you need to know if the modem is using its own built in routing and NAT capabilities or if it is running as a simple gateway and passing all Internet traffic to its LAN port. If it is not running as a simple gateway, you would either need to configure it as a gateway or set up port forwarding on it as well.

Does your Internet account at home include a static public IP address or the more common (at least in the USA) dynamic IP public address? A dynamic IP address is subject to change from time to time, such as when the modem has been turned off for a while. You would need to use a service like DynDNS.com and software on your home computer to track it for you. Some routers include dynamic DNS support with updating the address.

The firmware in some routers may not support accessing hardware on the internal LAN using its public IP address (loopback function).

3. nadavu

nadavu Thread Starter

Hi, and thanks for both reply and welcoming.

My device is both a router and a modem, so I don't think I need to set port forwarding more than once. Also, I tried a few webpages to see if the 3889 port is accessible (like http://www.canyouseeme.org) and they say it is.

I do have a dynamic IP address, but I've made sure to keep track of the current address when I try to connect with remote desktop.

I'm not sure I understand the implications of a router not supporting 'loopback'. does it simply mean that I can't connect to a computer in my LAN through the gateway IP address, or does it mean it is impossible to connect to any specific machine that's behind the router if I'm connecting from outside the LAN?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, that's what it means.

Was your last post from home? I tried Remote Desktop to your IP address and was prompted for login/password. No, I didn't try to guess or crack them, just wanted to see if I'd get through your router. :)

5. nadavu

nadavu Thread Starter

Yes, that post was made from home. That's good news, isn't it? it means the problem isn't with the host computer but with the client. but what could that be?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I thought it was good news, but maybe not.

In the attachment I click on 'Connect' in the first window and then get the second one. Do you get the "this computer could not connect to the remote computer ..." message before or after the 2nd window? (It wouldn't really hurt to display your IP address here, but I obscured it as I have no right to display yours.)

Attached Files:

7. nadavu

nadavu Thread Starter

Hey Terry, huge thanks by the way.

I only get as far as the 1st window, when that message appears.
    also (not sure if this is important), when I connect through the same LAN I don't get that second window, rather I'm transferred to Window 7 ultimate logon window, where I can choose a user by clicking on it's square.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I tried a RD connection on my LAN to a Windows 7 and got the window you described. Since the router I am currently using also lacks the "loopback" feature I cannot test further, but I suspect that I am not getting to your Windows 7 machine.

Do you have a static private IP set for it? If not, maybe your port forward is now going to a different machine on your LAN?

9. nadavu

nadavu Thread Starter

Dear cwwozniak and TerryNet,
    I sorta gave up for a while, but yesterday I've realized the problem was neither with the client nor with the host computer. It turns out I CAN remotely access my PC at home with my laptop, but not from my university, for some reason. I never even thought of that possibility, and only tried connecting from there. Once I've tried doing that from other LANs, it worked perfectly. Of course, the whole point was to be able to remote connect from the uni, but I guess that's something I have to ask the local administrators about...
    Anyways, huge thanks for your help!
    Nadavu

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for getting back to us with that information. :)

Yes, check with the university's IT department. They may block Remote Desktop because while there are very good reasons for the remote access it is also a back door way to get around other network restrictions they may have.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/963693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice