1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't copy 5 gig file to Seagate external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuedeTumor, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SuedeTumor

SuedeTumor Thread Starter

When I try to copy a 5 gig (avi) file to my Seagate hard drive it says there is not enough room. There is at least 65 gigs free. I have tried defragging the drive but it still won't let me do it. I copied a 2 gig file with no problem. Any ideas?

2. awoolf

awoolf

My best guess would be that your external drive is formatted as FAT32 (for compatibility with older OSs)

FAT32's maximum file size is ~4GB.

NTFS does not have this limitation, but you would not be able to use the drive on older OSs. (98, ME, etc)

A quick google search turned up this comparison:
    http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

A. Woolf

3. SuedeTumor

You are correct. Is there any way to change the formatting to NTFS? I'm using Windows XP.

4. SuedeTumor

I was able to format it with NTFS and now it is working fine. Thanks.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/598832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice