1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't copy text in email and paste it in word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jacob701, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jacob701

jacob701 Thread Starter

When I copy any text in an email or on the web, regardless of size, and go into word, excel, etc and try to paste it, all I get is a red square in the upper left hand corner of the document. No text. What am I doing wrong?
    I have Word 2000, windows xp (but this happened even when I had ME) 1.4 gb processor, 512 ram. 40 gb hard drive. Shouldn't be any problem there. Has to be something I don't have set up correctly in word, etc.

thanks.
    Jo.

:D

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Try Edit-Paste special options.

Sounds like you've got a picture or some kinda HTML or something and you may need to paste special as unformatted text.

3. jacob701

jacob701 Thread Starter

How could that be? I just tried to copy some text from an instant message, (no html, no picture) and it did the same thing.

Thanks.
    Jo

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Did you paste special??

I often copy from YIM but it doesn't "work". I need to select and right-click and copy. Using Ctrl+C just doesn't always copy it.

Which IM?

OH! And Word MUST be open FIRST or it won't paste.
    Somehow, the paste won't work in Word unless Word is already open, ya know----you can't copy, open Word, then paste.

5. jacob701

jacob701 Thread Starter

Well dream boat got your post this morning.

I did as you said, opened word first, then went into my email and copied something, then went back to word, and pasted it, and it worked. I tried both, just paste and also paste special and they both worked. So the whole clue to this, was I guess I did not have word open first, before I pasted. I opened it after I did the copy. Very tempermental, huh? Seems like u solved it for me.
    Thanks alot. You are a dream boat. :) As always u guys in Tech Support always come thru for me.
    Jo.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    That's great, Jo. Sorry it did not occur to me sooner. The question is usually "why do I have to open Word first...", I missed that it might be what you're dealing with.

:D

7. jacob701

jacob701 Thread Starter

Who would have thought that such a simple thing could have been my problem. I have a friend at work who is having the same problem, wait until I tell her the solution. LOL Unreal.
    Do you know how long I have been having this problem? Over a year. I searched MS - no where could I find this. I finally had to find another way to copy something. I would highlight the text, open a new email, copy it to it, and send to myself, and print it. What a job. LOL
    Thanks again. U always come thru. I will be back.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice