1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Create a Directory in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by videocheez, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. videocheez

videocheez Thread Starter

I recently got a new PC it has Windows 7 Pro 64Bit OS. My old XP box finally died. I have my music drive which is external USB 500 GB drive Seagate Free Agent drive. I used in on my old system.. I have about 110GB of music on it. It is my main music drive. I got some new songs that i wanted to add to the drive. I tried to make a new directory and I received a message saying that I don't have permission to create a folder. I tried creating a new folder within my music directory. I can create a new folder within the root of the drive but I cannot create a new directory where I want it. I am an admin on the PC so I even made sure that I was added as a user on the drive when I set permissions and sharing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank in advance, VC

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    Check the permissions of the folder - see security tab on the Properties of the folder you want to create the folder in. You need Modify or Read, Write, List folder rights to create new folders. If you cannot modify the rights, then grab ownership of the folder so that you can modify the permissions.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Download "Take Ownership" Context Menu. Unzip. Right-click the contained reg file and choose "Merge". Then right-click the drive and take ownership.

Hopefully, you have that drive backed up. Externals are the most common drives to fail, losing all their contents.

4. videocheez

Thanks man it worked. I was not familiar with taking owneship. Do you think I needed to take ownership because I created the folder when that external drive was connected to a different PC under a different user account? Just curious since I am the only one who creates folders on the drive. I would think that I would be owner by default.

5. videocheez

Thanks for the tip. I have that drive backed-up in triplicate. That's more than 10 years of acquiring my favorite songs and music.
    What is the purpose of downloading and running this own file? Does it automate the process of taking ownership? I was able to take ownership of my folder with out using the tool. I took my about 45 minutes and I'm not even sure what i did to make it work. I just kept trying different things. Down the own file take care of all the guess work?
    Thanks VC

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

The owners, even the administrator, are different on a different machine and have differing SID's.

The tool automates taking ownership of all files and subfolders with their files, so much faster in some cases than changing all the permissions manually.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice