Can't create a wireless network between a Windows Vista Laptop and Windows XP Desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JS92

Hi,

I have a windows XP home edition desktop computer which has a BT Voyager 2091-15 wireless router connected to it. I also have a windows vista home premium laptop which is wireless and I want to create a wireless connection with it.

The workgroup names on both computers are the same and on the network map on the windows vista machine I can see the name of the desktop computer. (I take it this means that the are connected in some way???).

I would like to be able to file share and share the printer which is pluged into the desktop pc.

Please can you help??

Thanks

JS92

Thanks for your replies but i still dont know what to do to see the vista computer on the xp computer. I can see the xp machine on the network map on windows vista but what do i do to see the vista computer on my xp machine?

Please help...

Thanks a lot

TerryNet

Terry
I'm gonna assume that you've enabled file and printer sharing on the Vista.

Can you ping the Vista by IP address? By Computer Name?

What 3rd party firewall are you running on the Vista, and have you configured it for your LAN access? You have to properly configure or uninstall those beasts. Sometimes 'disable' or 'turn off' will work.

We are also assuming this wireless client can get to the internet? Can the XP machine ping the Vista laptop and vice versa?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online

Members online