1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can't create NEW fld'r on Win 10 desktop with right-click

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by LionBill, Sep 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LionBill

LionBill Thread Starter

I have a HP OMEN that is approximately 2 years old(see specs below) & just yesterday a problem forced me to do a Windows 'Restore'. I did all the suggested backups of my Documents & Personal files and all was going well, or so I thought, until that is I needed to create a folder on the desktop. Whenever I right-click my desktop
    I do not get the usual menu 'new' & 'folder', instead it 'hangs-up' my system that only a restart will clear. I did some research & found several so-called "fixes" that do not work, and I refuse to pay $30+ for one that it claims is 'guaranteed' to work. HELP Please . . . I DO NOT want to do anther restore!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16319 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (166 GB Free); D: 920 GB (919 GB Free); E: 11 GB (1 GB Free); H: 31 GB (25 GB Free); I: 931 GB (931 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 830C
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Why did you need to create a folder on the desktop if you've backed up all your documents and personal files? I would suggest deleting the profile and then re-creating it. However, do you have access to the built-in Administrator account? If you're unsure, open a command prompt with Admin privileges, type in net user administrator /active:yes and then hit the Enter key. If it tells you it's succeeded, log out of your usual account and then try logging in as Administrator. If it doesn't have a password when you try logging in, I suggest securing it with one. After that, you can use this account to delete your personal account and then re-create it.

3. LionBill

LionBill Thread Starter

Worked! Thank You . . .

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You're welcome (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice