1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Create Startup Disk

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by falkorboxers, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. falkorboxers

falkorboxers Thread Starter

I am in the process of preparing to do a reformat and reinstall of Widows 98. In order to do so, I'm trying to make a windows startup disk, but I am getting an error. I have gone to the setup.txt file and done as suggested, but it is still not working.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

What setup.txt file?
    Can't help with it if you don't tell us which bootdisk you have.

In Win98 you can just go to the Add/Remove Control Panel and go under the Startup Disk tab.

3. falkorboxers

falkorboxers Thread Starter

I did a search for "creating startup disk in Windows 98" and found the "how to" that relates to the Add/Remove/Startup Disk method.

I attempted to create a startup disk using that method, but the process hangs at 2% and I get an error that says, "Setup cannot copy all of the files from your Windows 98 CD. Clean the Windows 98 CD with a soft cloth, return it to the CD-ROM drive, and then click OK. If you receive this message again, read the CAB Errors section of the Setup.txt file. This file is in the Win98 directory of your Windows 98 CD."

I opened up my Windows 98 disk and read the portion of the setup file on CAB file errors. I followed the directions to bypass this problem, but it's still not working.

I currently do not have a startup disk, and I need one before I reformat my hard drive.

I hope that helps explains things!

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

falkorboxers
    Welcome to TSG!
    Since you are having many problems creating one via windows....
    Instead of messing with Windows startup disk creation go to site listed below and download the Win98 Bootdisk from there. Place the .exe program on desktop and double click it. It will prompt you for insert disk in Floppy drive.

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice