1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't cut(copy) & paste, all accounts missing in Control Panel-User accounts ...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sooners, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sooners

sooners Thread Starter

Hiii everybody,
    this is my first ever post in my first forum :D. That's a disclaimer to ask you guys to forgive me for having very little gray matter :-( .
    I have Windows XP HOME SP2 on Intel Celeron 667 MHz and 192MB RAM. I know it doesn't sound like much so I'm always trying to read forums and tweak my settings. But this time, it ended up worse.
    I used a program called autoruns.exe to adjust my startup programs so it'll start faster. I'm not sure what I turned off but now
    1. It takes longer to start up,
    2. I don't see any accounts (not even admin) in Control Panel - User accounts
    3. I can access a directory and open files but I can't cut or copy and paste them into another folder.
    4. In services.msc, most of the programs under Local with automatic setting don't start and cannot be started. I can't even see the programs under extended.
    5. I have a home network but I can't access any of my other computers.
    those are a few of laundry list of challenges with my computer (with me ?)
    I'm even ready to format and reinstall XP but I need to copy some files before I do that.
    I'm sorry for this long post but can you guys help me?

2. XtremeNuker

XtremeNuker

Did you try unistalling the autorun program . When you say you tweaked your start up programs .... which start up programs ?

Are the the same start up programs that you would find when you do a msconfig and see the startup tab. How to see msconfig.
    1.Click on start run
    2.Type msconfig
    3.Click on startup tab

OR did you tweak the services section.
    If you did try visiting http://www.blackviper.com that website might help you.

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

If autoruns.exe doesn't provide you with a log of what it altered, go where donglerouter has suggested and put ticks in all the blank boxes in the Services and Startup tabs. Restart and tick the "don't show" box and hit OK. Next, delete autoruns.exe and anything that came with it and then systematically, one step at a time, experiment with taking things out of startup. Most things can come out but don't risk forgetting manually to turn on your firewall and AV programmes- let them come on at startup. Advice on the Services tab remains as blackviper's advice but for the time being, put everything back on.

4. sooners

sooners Thread Starter

hi Saga Lou & danglerouter,
    thanks for replying immediately. I didn't think anyone would respond so quick.
    As per your suggestions, I tried the following steps with no positive result.
    1. MSconfig: under startup- only programs that are checked on are antivirus, firewall, optical mouse, teatimer (which comes with Spybot S&D). The ones that are checked off are realsched, jusched, msnmsgr, and Nerocheck. I turned them on anyway.
    : under Services, all are checked on but most of them say they are stopped.
    2. I tried to uninstall Autorun.exe but found that it was a stand-alone application and doesn't install. I got Autorun from www.sysinternals.com
    3. I checked out BlackViper's before and set the services configurations according to it a couple of months ago and nothing like this happened until now. I tried starting up all of the services but most of them don't start saying either "Error 1075 The Dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion"
    or
    "Error 126 The specified module cannot be found".
    Thanks for your help.

5. rude

rude

6. sooners

sooners Thread Starter

Hi rude,
    the mskb you referred to has a solution that says open Network Connections and right click on Local Area Connection. I opened Net. Connxns but the window's blank just like the user accounts window. I waited a couple of minutes thinking it might take some time but nothing happened.

7. rude

rude

Have you tried loging on as Administrator or from safemode to try the solution?

8. sooners

sooners Thread Starter

Hi Rude,
    how do I log on as admin? It keeps saying I can't because of an account restriction. I was able to log on in safe mode with a username that has administrator privilieges but the end result was the same as before.
    I was able to salvage my files by using a jump-drive and going to DOS mode.
    On another note, if I wanted to format the harddisk, partition and reinstall XP, how would I go about doing it?

9. rude

rude

To Log in as Administrator:
    Hold the Ctrl-Alt key and press Del twice.
    This will bring up the normal login and you can log on as Administrator

Clean install:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

You could also do an XP Repair install which will leave all of your files and settings intact:

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
    2 When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

If the option to Repair Install is NOT available and you continue with the install; you will delete your Windows folder, Documents and Settings folders. All Applications that place keys in the registry will need to be re-installed.

You should exit setup if the repair option is not available and consider other options. I have found if the Repair option is not available, XP is usually not repairable and will require a Clean install. If you still have the ability to access the Windows XP installation, backup all important files not restorable from other sources before attempting any recovery console trouble shooting attempts.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!