Can't decide on MacBook 2010 upgrades

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mase3206

I can't decide on (1) if my old laptop is worth upgrading, (2) what upgrades to do (I will list some I'm thinking about doing), and (3) if I should do a fresh install of macOS Sierra or High Sierra.

Specifications:
- 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- 4 GB of 1067 MHz DDR3 memory
- NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB GPU
- 250 GB 5600 RPM HDD
- 4 speed Apple SuperDrive

Upgrades I am considering:
- Upgrading the HDD to 1 TB or 500 GB HDD
- Replacing the SuperDrive with a 20-60 GB SSD boot drive
- Replacing the old battery with a new-old stock Apple or Apple certified battery
- Upgrading the memory from 4 GB to 8 GB

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

-M

I suppose it depends on what you need it to do, and your budget.

There is no doubt the above upgrades would improve performance, but, everything will still be controlled by/through that old 2.4 GHz Core2 Duo. A Passmark benchmark for it would be about 1,500 compared to roughly 9,500 for a 2.7 GHz Core-i7.

Mase3206

Yeah, true.

My budget is $40 - $60. Any more, and it would be cheaper to buy a new laptop than to upgrade it anymore than it is.
-M

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online