1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant defrag

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by markjan216, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markjan216

markjan216 Thread Starter

I run windows 98. I sarted having hang up problems so a did a standard and complete scan disk. my puter still hangs during defrag. Tha last message was drive disk assertion sector 222
    Any ideas?
    Mark

2. brindle

brindle

is this the first time you have tried to defrag, what hard drive do you have, did you have trouble booting up.......I don't have any answers just questions

3. randyrayd

randyrayd

I can't find anything on the error message, but be sure you don't have a screen saver enabled and nothing is running in the background. Either ctrl/alt/del and end task on every program except Explorer or go to Safe Mode and and try defrag.

Randall

4. Del

Del

Never could get thru defrag until I started doing it in the safe mode. No problems there.

5. markjan216

thanks everybody
    I trief in safe mode and i get to 91% My hard drive is 30 gigs it came in an hp puter dont know the make
    any ideas?

6. Del

Del

Try right clicking on the desktop and click on properties, disable screen saver. Then ctrl, alt, del and make sure nothing but systray and explorer are running.
    I have a 40 gig HD and defrag ok.

7. Del

Del

Do you have Norton AV on your computer??

8. rkselby98

rkselby98

What do you have running in the background?

Go to start, run and type in

msconfig

Press okay

Click on the start up tab and what is listed, post it back here. Have you cleaned the hard drive, if not try that. Directions are at www.rselby.com/cleanup.htm

Have you checked for a virus or spyware? If not check for them.

9. Del

Del

Markjan,
    If you have Norton, try this:
    This behavior can occur if you have the Speed Disk utility from Norton System Works 2000 installed on your system. This utility, if running in the background, blocks the use of the Disk Defragmenter tool.

This error can also occur if the file allocation table (FAT) table is damaged.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, if you have System Works, you must quit the Speed Disk utility and restart the Disk Defragmenter tool.

To repair the file allocation table, follow these steps:

Restart your computer in DOS using the Windows Me Emergency Boot Disk (EBD).
    At the command prompt type scandisk, and then press ENTER.
    The following message appears:
    The file allocation table FATs on the disk drive do not match. Scandisk has determined that copy 1 is the best copy. If you choose fix it, scandisk will replace copy 2 of FAT with copy 1.
    Press Y to anwser Yes to the message.
    Scandisk will replace your damaged FAT with the undamaged copy 1 of the FAT.
    After Scandisk finishes repairing your hard disk, remove the Start up disk, and then restart your computer.

10. rkselby98

rkselby98

Del you won't have a Windows Me Emergency Boot Disk with win 98 but what you suggest might work by just rebooting to msdos prompt.

11. Del

Del

Then use the Win 98 boot disk, just gotta get to dos prompt.

12. markjan216

DEl,
    I SCANDISK in dos, It came back stating that I had data in unreliable areas and asked if i want to move them i said yes but it hung up again. Tried to use defrag in dos said i could not something like i didnt have that command available. I do not have norton. I have been able to use defrag in the past.
    Also i cant do a through scandisk It does a standard fine but always hangs in the same spot

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice