Can't Defrag

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JLe2k

Hey can anyone plz help me when i go to scan disk or defrag i cant defrag!!! It says the disk is locked by a disk utility or some other program :( I also booted it in safe mode so can anyone plz help me

Error Message "Windows Cannot Defragment This Drive now Because It Has Been Locked by a Disk Utility" When Using Disk Defragmenter

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;286810

what OS are you using?
After reading the above you might, or might not...given the situation want to DL a free disc defrag progie. easy enough to find in a google search.
Note:You might not need it, you might not be able to use it.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
The key phrase in the MS note is "This error can also occur if the file allocation table (FAT) table is damaged."

If this is so, you do NOT want to start messing with free defrag programs until this issue is resolved.

When I run "disc defrag" it starts off, but even after an hour or more, it still has 0% completed, what is the problem? Your help is much appreciated.

Scandisk is best run in DOS; and Defrag is best run in Safe Mode. The reasons are that windows is constently making disk calls (reads and writes) which interrupt and cause defrag to start over.

Use Diskeeper defragmenter instead. I had the same problem with the built-in defragger and after several frustrating years, I finally broke down and bought Diskeeper. Big difference. And you won't have to run it in safe mode or any of that.

Hedda Lora

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online