1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't delete a shortcut from my desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hattendude, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hattendude

hattendude Thread Starter

I have an old shortcut that I can't delete from my desktop. When I try to delete it, I get an error message that says "the file name you specified is invalid or too long." If I try to shorten the file name I get the same message.

Is there a "force delete" command I can use?

THANK YOU!

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Try opening up a command prompt and deleting it from there.

3. hattendude

Thanks brooks for your help. Everything was working as you said it would until I got a message (inside the command window) that said I did not have proper access to the file (shortcut) to delete it. I have no idea how that happended?

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David:confused:

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Are you running NTFS on Windows NT, 2000 or XP, if so right click on the shortcut and open up the properties check that it is not set to read only, and check the security permissions to see that everyone has full permission.

5. hattendude

You're a genious! The file was "read only." Once I unchecked that box in the properties window, I was able to delete the file.

Thanks again!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!