1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't delete Ares

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tweety daughter, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tweety daughter

tweety daughter Thread Starter

My son recently downloaded Ares, and we want to delete it. It does not show up in the Control panel Add or delete programs, but only in the Programs file on My computer. When I try to delete it I get a message that says Cannot delete Ares. Access denied. Make sure disk is not full or write protected and file is not currently in use.
    we also keep getting a pop up from our virus software (Trend micro) that says a threat has been detected as an application keeps trying to access our computer. The threat is Ares.
    What should I do?

Thanks,
    Sandy

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

3. tweety daughter

tweety daughter Thread Starter

Thanks, Mystic eyes. What a pain. I went to the spywaredb.com site, downloaded it and ran the scan. It said it found all sorts of low and medium level threats but you have to buy the software for them to remove the threats. Don't you hate when that happens? There were also instructions for how to remove Ares manually, but they make no sense to me.

Below listed processes registry entries files are part of this spyware. To manually get rid of it, follow these instructions (at your own risk).Ares Removal Instructions
    Kill the following processes
    ares.exe
    Delete these registry entries
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\ares

Remove the following files
    ares.exe in Program Files\ares\

Does any of that make sense to you? I am also downloading the other free software you recommended, so hopefully it will be more helpful.

sandy

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Report back.

5. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hello tweety daughter. p2p downloads are fraught with dangers and should be avoided anyhow you could try deletng it with this small utility.
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice