1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't delete folders, sometimes

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by BabyBubba, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BabyBubba

BabyBubba Thread Starter

Hi,

I come across this a lot:

I can delete all contents of a folder, but not the folder itself. After hibernation or restart, I can delete the folder just fine. What gives?

I am running an administrator account and I've turned off the UAE.

Thanks

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    "I've turned off the UAE" Why?

What folders are these, if they are "System made" folders you will not be able to delete them?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Explorer seems to lock folders from time to time, especially those that have been used by some archiving tools. Not sure why, but XP and Vista both do it. If you really need to remove it fast and can't wait for a reboot, you can sever the handle with Unlocker. The more stubborn ones will be deleted on reboot if you set that option in Unlocker or Emco Move On Boot.

4. BabyBubba

BabyBubba Thread Starter

because it melts my brain being asked constantly if I want to do what I want to do. I'm a grown man, don't need it.

5. BabyBubba

BabyBubba Thread Starter

Thanks a lot. Figured it happens whenever Winrar has had a go in the folder. What a mess Windows is in... still... has been since I can remember and that's back to Win 3.11

Again, thanks.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I think it's WinRAR and Power Archiver (maybe others) that have the poor code.

7. BabyBubba

BabyBubba Thread Starter

You're right, but how come the folder cant be deleted because a program has done something inside that folder... Winrar is not an open process. That's what's so scary. ghost in the shell :d

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

WinRAR should terminate the handle when it is finished. It does, eventually, but not in human time. At least we can get rid of them. There are others that don't delete at all :D.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!