1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't delete folders

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Dawebmasta, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dawebmasta

Dawebmasta Thread Starter

I have a Dell XP 710 with four SATA hard drives. When I was installing Vista on the new C:\ drive the secondary drive was D:\ from the old OS. On the D:\ I have two files called Windows and oldProgram Files. I want to delete them but it won't let me know matter what I've tried. I'm thinking with the Intel Core2 it was using D:\ as a cache drive or something for more speed but it doesn't now and I would just like to delete those two files :-( I have even went to the Command prompt and went to D:\ Drive as the administrator and it won't let me delete the files even individually. I might have put Vista on D to start with and then put it on c:\ It's kind of one of those things that just bug the heck out of you but do no harm. Thought of just buying another hard drive just to get rid of those two dang files. PLEASE someone help me on this. Remember the D drive was with the Dell when this all started and might be partitioned. I'm pretty savy with computers but not on this I guess. Some have told me to reformat or go get a new hard drive.

2. moper

moper

3. kenny111111

kenny111111

4. Dawebmasta

I thought I took ownership before but I'm going to follow the exact directions for Vista and see if it works. Thanks for the quick reply. Now I can go obsess again hahaha!

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Put an ownership entry in your context menu. It makes it easy.

"Take Ownership" Context Menu

You could delete them easily from a boot disk, like UBCD4Win (if you have an XP CD around, making this CD for repairs and recovery will be useful to you far into the future with any operating system), Knoppix, or Ubuntu.

6. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hello Dawebmasta. kenny111111 has the right idea I use unlocker all the time with great success.

7. Dawebmasta

Thank you everyone for your quick support. This is a great site to have access to. I went through and took ownership again. the one thing I missed right at the beginning was to take it off read only ugh! Sometimes the simplest things can get in your way. Like not seing the tree because of the forest

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!