1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't delete font files in C:/Windows..

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by fidster, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fidster

fidster Thread Starter

Help! I copied fonts from a zip disk over to my C:/Windows/Fonts folder, but it seems to have placed the font files in as a shortcut to the files' location on the original zip disk. Now none of my apps will recognise or use the fonts.

When I try to uninstall/delete the font/s (which now has a shortcut icon next to the font's name) it isn't deleting it. The system asks me if I'm sure if I want to delete the fonts, and upon pressing yes the file still remains. I can't install the particular fonts again because it tells me I have to uninstall the original version first.

Any assistance/solutions would be MOST appreciated. Many thanks!! :)

2. jmatt

jmatt

This may help .

http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,s=1478&a=5292,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,414...t.com/download/0/1076/fviewer.zip&login=1&r=1
    FontView 2: Download It Here
    Download Now: fviewer.zip
    Publication Date: June 12, 2001 (v20n11)
    Version: 2.0
    Platforms: Windows 95, Windows 98, NT, or 2000
    License Information:
    PC Magazine programs are copyrighted and cannot be distributed, whether modified or unmodified.
    Use is subject to the terms and conditions of the license agreement distributed with the
    programs.

Description:
    The right font can add character and polish to a document, but you can have too much of a good
    thing. A large number of installed fonts can significantly slow down Windows, word processors,
    and other programs that use fonts. Also, scrolling through hundreds of fonts to find the one
    you want is tedious and time-consuming. But how do you know which ones to eliminate? FontViewer
    can tell you. This upgrade to our FontViewer utility can scan the files on your hard disk and
    tell you which fonts you are actually using. You can then highlight fonts you don't use, and
    select the uninstall command to remove them. Fonts that you uninstall from within FontViewer
    can be reinstalled from within FontViewer. As with FontViewer 1.0, you can view and print
    sample text from all the fonts on your system, one line per font, for easy comparison. The
    program's many filter options let you restrict your view to only the fonts you're interested in.
    FontViewer 2.0 was written by Neil J. Rubenking and first appeared in "PC Magazine," June 12,
    2001 . Source code is included.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice