Cant delete from my Network external drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

biggrobbstud

I have a 1tr Western Digital My World Book II and I transferred some files from another external drive and now I cant delete them. It says "You need permission to perform this action" but as far as I know, im logged in as the administrator. Is norton messing with this at all???

And another thing thats happening, I have a regular external that I plug into the USB drive and its listed as my E: drive. When I go to My Computer, I cant access it by double clicking. it says:Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access this item. I can still access it through right clicking and hitting "Open Autoplay" or if I turn it off and turn it back on. Can anyone help me???

crjdriver

You need to provide some more info.
1 What os is installed ie xp/win2k/vista/whatever?
2 Were these files encrypted?
3 Have you tried to take ownership of the files?

Also has 'safe mode' been tried ?
A lot of files that cannot be deleted in 'regular mode' can be deleted in 'safe mode'.

biggrobbstud

The Program cannot open the required dialog box because it cannot determine whether the computer names "Network Drive" is joined to a domain. Close this message box and try again.

How do I join this drive to a domain???

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I'm stumped. Hopefully others will have more ideas.

biggrobbstud

after TONS of research, i found that I have to log into the drive. Usually I do this through a program called Mionet but they dont make that program for the 64bit version of windows vista SO what I had to do is go to the Western Digital web site and log in through there to access the drive. That gave my full access of the drive including erasing files. This problem is generally JUST on the network accessed drive. The true solution is for western digital to make their programs work for windows. Why does the 64 bit version lack so much when its supposed to be better???

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Drivers AND software are lacking for the 64 bit version. I think they point that out though on the MS website.

biggrobbstud

so tell me what the benefits of 64 bit vista might be cuz if there are none, im downgrading.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online