Can't delete MS Word 2000 file from Windows XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

goodfellow10

I have MS Office 2000 installed on a new Windows XP machine. MS Word 2000 generally has worked well and continues to work well, except for one Word document that I downloaded from the internet (originally prepared on a Macintosh machine with MS Word 98) that won't open. It gives a message that a Read Only file can be opened, but in fact, when the button is pushed, another message arises that "MS Word must close." However, when I try to delete this MS Word document, I get a message that "file cannot be deleted because it is in use by another user or another application." I cannot even place this file into a folder as I get the same message about another user or application is in use. A Search doesn't reveal any other applications in use, so it appears the file was corrupted being downloaded, or the old MS Word 2000 has some incompatibility with the newer Windows XP?

I'd appreciate any help to delete this document from my desktop, and guidance as to how to prevent recurrence. Thanks

If nothing else works try using MoveOnBoot. It is a free application that will allow you to move or delete files on the next system boot before Windows applications have a chance to lock them.

Regards,
Rollin

goodfellow10

Idowindows and Rollin Again

Thank you very much for your responses. I was able to delete the WORD file in SAFE MODE. Also, I did download MOVEONBOOT for future use.

Regards, Goodfellow10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts