Cant delete or transfer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

londo

This is going to sound extremely stupid. I got my computer a week ago. Every time I try to delete or move anything nothing seems to happen. When I try to delete or move it again it says it's not there. Also the left and right arrows don't appear when I open any file. Consequently once I open anything, I have to close it before I can go back to where I started. This means I have a lot of open windows of the the same file.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200829194701.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 476 GB (258 GB Free); E: 931 GB (83 GB Free); F: 3725 GB (45 GB Free); G: 1863 GB (86 GB Free); H: 931 GB (82 GB Free); I: 3725 GB (37 GB Free); J: 931 GB (40 GB Free); K: 4657 GB (204 GB Free); L: 2794 GB (713 GB Free); M: 3725 GB (184 GB Free); N: 149 GB (127 GB Free); O: 931 GB (95 GB Free); P: 1862 GB (31 GB Free); Q: 1862 GB (20 GB Free); R: 1862 GB (52 GB Free); S: 931 GB (35 GB Free); T: 3725 GB (174 GB Free); U: 931 GB (63 GB Free); V: 2794 GB (80 GB Free); X: 3725 GB (74 GB Free); Y: 3725 GB (36 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 8653, ver A (SMVB), s/n PHZGP0ECYDXAI3
System: AMI, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 2MO03245NV
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
With that many drives, I would be confused also.
Are you sure that you are on the right dive when trying this?
Are you use Windows File Manager (Windows Explorer) or what third party program?

What program(s) are you using to open these files?

londo

With that many drives, I would be confused also.
Are you sure that you are on the right dive when trying this?
Are you use Windows File Manager (Windows Explorer) or what third party program?

What program(s) are you using to open these files?
I'm using Windows File Manager.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
For the different file types, what program is being used to open, read, edit and etc. the file?

Couriant

James
The only time I have seen that type of message is when I am copying from a network drive to my local drive.

Did you create those drives? I have never seen every single drive letter being used.... Unless you have like 5000TB drive split up.... I assume those drives are network share drives?

londo

Sorry, about not replying earlier. I'm using Windows File Manager (Windows Explorer) to open everything. The drives are portable hard drives conned by USB splitters. This happens even when the drives are all disconnected.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You have not addressed my question about the file types and what program that is used to read and edit these files.

Have you reboot without all of the external drive connected, to see it the issue is still there?

londo

I 'm just to open ordinary Microsoft file types and using Windows File Manager. I've restarted without the external drives. It won't shut down when they're attached.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There is no such thing as ordinary files type, one MUST have some program install to read and edit each file type?

londo

I'm using whatever system Windows 10 has. I click on a file, jpeg or mp4, and when I try to move or delete e.g. in downloads it doesn't show it being deleted or moved until I exit whatever I'm in and go back. Also, the left and right arrows in the top left corner aren't lit up.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Before I can continue, I need to know the following:
1. What you are saving on each of these 20+ drives and why?
2. How are you disconnecting the external drives before shutting down the computer?
3. Post a screen shot of the pane that the "arrows" do not work?
4. How long have you been using Windows computers? (Were you ever a Mac user?)

londo

1. Videos and pictures

2. Pulling out the USB plugs.

3. How do I get a screen shot?

4. I have been using Windows computers for over 20 years. My work laptop is Windows 10 and doesn't do this.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It appears to me that the issue is the 20+ drives all connected at the same time. I do not every see any reason to have that many.

You stated you do not have this issue with your Work laptop, but do you have these 20+ drives connected to it?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The simple question is HOW are those disks/drives configured
Are you saying that you actually have 20 or whatever the number is separate physical drives as against for instance 10 or whatever actual drives some with separate lettered partitions.

Looking at some of thise lettered drives, or lettered partitions it is immediately evident that a number of them cannot run efficiently, although free space is criticial on the OS drive, it is also important on other drives

You are tryng to run drives with far less than 10% free space
There is not even room for the system defrag, trim or whatever else.
Plus and perhaps more importantly the system you have simply cannot cater for that number of actual physical drives, if that is what we are dealing with.

Even although you say the drives are
The drives are portable hard drives conned by USB splitters. This happens even when the drives are all disconnected.
connected by usb splitters -
that does not mean that your board/system can cater for that demand on the USB ports across the system bus.

and when you say it still happens
this happens even when the drives are all disconnected.
then that needs further examination, if it still has McAfee on it, that MAY be a starting point
Also when you disconnect those drives, until you perform a full shutdown and reboot rather than the standard windows 10 hybrid shutdown, all those drive letters and the loading of them is still allocated to the system.

The computer if I have the correct one has
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06432435
REAR I/O
4) USB 2.0 Type-A ports

FRONT I/O
(1) USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port
(4) USB Gen 1 Type-A ports

HP ENVY Desktop - TE01-0034 Product Specifications
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06443577

The H370 chipset
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/133284/intel-h370-chipset.html
supports in theory a total of 14 USB ports
However that does not mean that the system you have will support the number of usb ports you are trying to use
and you need to realise that a 4 port hub connected to a usb port does not suddenly become 4 separate usb root hubs

In summary IMHO you are trying to use a rather basic (that does not mean it is not a good system) home type desktop computer for a purpose for which it was never intended.

londo

What I can't understand is how I could handle this on my old Windows 7 computer, but this one can't handle it. Some of my problems are to File Explorer. When I open a folder a sometimes, it's just blank space and I can't close it. After a few minutes it closes all my open windows.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online