1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can't Delete Outlook Folders

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bushmook, Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bushmook

bushmook Thread Starter

The SysInfo Utility download is below.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16286 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 153599 MB, Free - 97853 MB; D: Total - 1753511 MB, Free - 1507444 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., ET2323I
    Antivirus: Trend Micro Maximum Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

In late February I bought an Asus Desktop, Windows 10, 64 bit computer along with a Microsoft Home & Business 2016 package.
    Under Outlook I am recently unable to delete four empty folders that appear to have IMAP as a common feature. If I individually delete them they go to trash and before I can permanently delete them there they reappear in my folder list.
    My ISP provider can't seem to fix the problem and Microsoft gives no warranty on its products other than installation and only offered to fix the issue remotely provided I purchase an advanced help plan at AU$120 which I declined.
    However I subsequently found that with the minimal help they had provided with its first level support I had lost my access to Outlook entirely necessitating a further call to them to have it restored without loss of my folders and files. Again they would not address the bug in the system without purchase of the advanced help plan. Their only advice is that I set up a new profile in Outlook.
    Otherwise, because my Microsoft Home & Business 2016 package is a one off install and has neither updates or assistance I can expect this problem to remain forever.
    It seems that this is a common problem on forum websites but no-one seems to have been able to solve it to date.
    Can Techguy offer any help?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What folder are they, as all folder that are on the IMAP email account server will appear in Outlook. They must be removed at the server level to be removed from the outlook listing.

Have you tried remove the IMAP email accounts from your Outlook?
    Then try and delete the folders.

Or even go to the IMAP account using your browser see if you delete the folders there if they will be removed from Outlook.

3. bushmook

bushmook Thread Starter

Shortly after sending of the above thread I found I couldn't leave the problem alone while waiting for a reply and kept on pursuing a solution to it. I decided to separately highlight the first of the four folders in question that under Properties > General > Type show a reference to IMAP items, right clicked on it, selected Properties > AutoArchive, changed the setting there from 'Do not archive items in this folder' to 'Archive this folder using these settings', changed 'Clean out items older than from 3 Months to 3 Days', selected 'Permanently delete old items' and clicked OK. Then in response to request to amend the Auto Archive Settings I hit cancel and backed out amending the AutoArchive settings along the way to as they had been. Then to see if this had had any effect I tried to delete and folder and to my surprise found it now deleted normally. I followed the same process with the other three of those folders with the same result. I can't explain why this worked but they are gone. Where they went to I don't know. What I do know is that they no longer reside in my folder list. I can't see any logic to why this should have worked but it did. Maybe this might help others as this problems is repeatedly referred to on search of the issue of Google.

4. bushmook

bushmook Thread Starter

My previous comment at the time I posted it seemed simplistic as well as an unlikely solution to my problem. This turned out to be the case in that it simply didn't work in that the subject folders I thought it had finally deleted returned shortly afterwards. Since then, but only because I suggested to Microsoft that the problem had arisen from a Microsoft Office Update recently issued, I managed to gain access to one of their Level 2 Technician who managed to solve the issue by way of what appears to be a work around. To eliminate the Outlook folders that refused to be deleted he advised me to right click on Inbox, click on IMAP folders, click on Subscribed, click on Query, click on the Folder in question within the folder list, click on Unsubscribe, click on Apply and click on OK . Then return to the Outlook main screen and delete the folder normally. I hope that this helps others who experience this problem until Microsoft manages to issue a corrective Update.

ElWasumara and mommasue like this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1173985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice