1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't delete partial autocad 2007 install

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mary11, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mary11

mary11 Thread Starter

I was installing ADT 2007 on a computer and we had a power failure. The UPS was apparently bad and the computer shut off. I am now unable to complete the installation. When I tried to reinstall I got a message "Installation failed prematurely because of an error".

I tried removing/uninstalling everything I could find using add/remove and deleting the 2007 directories. I found instructions on deleting two folders for Autodesk in the registry but that looks like it will also delete my 2004 installation, which I would like to keep at least until I get 2007 installed. I've also deleted everything in the Temp folder. When I start the installation, some of the fields I have to fill in are already filled in so I think there are some other registry keys that I need to delete. I don't know which ones though. I have tried posting this to the Autodesk discussion groups but haven't gotten very far.

If anyone can help me get rid of this so I can try a clean install, I'd appreciate it.

2. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

Can you do a 'system restore' to before the failure ?

3. mary11

mary11 Thread Starter

It's Win 2K. No system restore I think?

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

AutoCad installs files in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Autodesk
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Application Data\Autodesk
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk
    C:\Program Files\[folder where AutoCAD is installed]
    and about a zillion places in the registry under AutoCad and Autodesk.

Before you do too much more "fixing" I would contact Autodesk support. Ask them to give you a case number. That way when you finally get it installed, if there are any invalid or too many times license activation problems, you can contact them again and they will have a record of your problem and the license number (AutoCad is so freaking expensive, you don't need license problems).

One more thing, if AutoCad refuses to complete installation or activation. or refuses to run on a SP2 machine, adding AutoCad to the Data Execution Prevention exclusions list works wonders.

5. mary11

mary11 Thread Starter

I found items in those directories and deleted them. Same result. I didn't go to the "zillion" places though.

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I would contact Autodesk support at this point. For the reasons I mentioned above, (getting a case number creates a paper trail you may need later when activating your $3500 program that doesn't work after several attempts), and they may be able to help you fix the problem at the same time.

7. mary11

mary11 Thread Starter

I called autodesk last night and they refuse to give support on this unless we pay for it. I'm going to the reseller and then have our IT people see if they can clean this out.

Thanks for the replies.

8. pnwtechie

pnwtechie

AutoCAD and most Autodesk products back to at least version 2000 are installed using the Windows installer. Therefore, you can use the Windows Installer Cleanup utility to remove the registry entries for these products at any time.

This utility can be retrieved here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 .. the link to the download is in the middle of the page, but I recommend reading the document so you understand what you are getting into.

The utility removes the registry entries necessary for a reinstall of the product but DOES NOT remove the program files. It will be your responsibility to remove the program files as well to complete a true "uninstall" of the product. That is the best way to prepare your computer for a reinstall, but is not required always.

I use this tool to remove bad installations of Autodesk products every day, but it works with just about any program that uses the Windows installer.

Good luck!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice