Can't delete registry!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xZippy

Please look at my image link, for the life of me, I can not delete this registry folder! I've tried editing the permissions in every way, no luck, I've tried the CCleaner program, and nothing. I can't even delete the (Default) registry in the folder, when I try to delete anything related to that "Sony Media Software" folder I get an error saying "Cannot delete Sony Media Software: Error while deleting key."

Normally I would let something like this slide, but I can't install Sony Vegas again while this messed up registry key thing is still around, please, is there a way I can get rid of this annoying thing?

This be the image.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
What happened to the original installation of Sony Vegas? That might give us a clue about the registry key.

xZippy

No, I can't rename or delete it. The original installation wasn't actually Sony Vegas, but it was Sony Vegas Movie Studio or something like that... But both programs use the exact same registries since they're almost the same program. I couldn't uninstall movie studio because this damn registry is so damn screwed up, so I used Windows Installer Cleanup to get the program off my Add/Remove programs list, although the registry is still there.

Have you tried safe mode?

Another thing to try (if your comfortable, it can be complex) is booting with a live CD, like Ultimate Boot Disk and using its regedit.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
You might try to force the deletion from a command prompt. Here is the command to type:
reg delete "HKLM\Software\Sony Media Software" /f

If the above doesn't work, note the exact failure message that is displayed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online