1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't delete temp files.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jam420, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jam420

jam420 Thread Starter

Trying to help my niece . I was there today and her pc is soooooo slow! She knows nothing about pc's besides email and IM.
    First thing I was going to do was to delete all her temp files. Went to start, clicked on run, typed in %temp% and up came
    2,049 temp files! Well, duh no wonder it's slow.
    I was explaining to her what 'temp files' are. But she doesn't even you the internet.
    The first page of her temp file was as follows:
    DF1CF4
    and when I tried to delete them it said : cannot delete ~~ DF1CF4: It is being used by another person or program.
    As I scrolled through the next few pages they seemed to be all alike, maybe a variance of the last two numbers.
    There wan no other person using anything, nothing else was open.
    Can someone give me some suggestions as to what to do??
    Thanks so much
    Joyce

2. James4630

James4630

There are two third party apps that do a very good job of cleaning temp files.

atf cleaner: http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25

and

ccleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Caution: Do not use the registry option in ccleaner. Registry cleaners are unreliable and have been known to delete keys necessary to operate the computer.

Also uncheck prefetch in atf cleaner. Windows xp does a very good job of managing the prefetch folder.

After deleting the temp files, be sure to have her defrag her hard drive.

3. jam420

jam420 Thread Starter

James,
    Thank you so much.
    I will be going down there tomorrow afternoon and will try out your suggestions.
    I'll also defrag for her.
    Thanks again, I'm very happy about you answer. Hope it works for her.
    Joyce(y)

4. James4630

James4630

You're welcome. If deleting temp files and defragging the HD don't do the trick, her problems may be malware related. So, check back with us.

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Open a command prompt, the type in these two commands separately, hit enter each time

cd\

erase *.tmp /s

space between e and *

p and /

this deletes all temp files, it may take some time to complete the task, be patient before closing the cmd prompt.

6. boo5790

boo5790 It's My Birthday!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!