1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't delete these undeletable files!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tact, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

This isn't your average run of the mill undeletable files. this one's diffrent. and i have no idea why. I thought it might help if i explain how they got there in the first place, maybe it might give you fine people some ideas as to what may have happened.

I was basically looking for an mirc trivia bot. I already had a pretty good one called "tat's trivia bot" or something like that but i really wanted to have the KAOS questions which i think are really fun. So i went ahead and d/led Trivbot.

i was new to trivbot so i didn't know how it works. i just assumed it was like any other app where i extract the files and run the exe. or if its a stand-alone program, i just run it from there or whatever. but then i'm reading the faq on the website and find out i have to have it on the c drive. (not in program files) just straig in "C:\". a little odd for me but i say, ok. so i move them there. but then i realized that i put them in a folder i made myself for convinience. (not everyone makes zip files that unzip into their own directory). and i don't like to have a lot of loose files all over the place so i put them in a folder. (by this time i've moved the files 3 times and i was getting no troubles)

but once i extracted the files from the directory i made so that they are properly located on the c drive, that's when things get weird. nothing out of the ordinary happend during the move. but then when i wanted to open the files and directories to make sure everything was ok, it said that i coudln't. i get error messages along the lines of "copy protected or being used"

and that's my problem. so far, here's everything i've done to try to delete them. (seeing as they are no longer any use to me since they can't even be viewed. yes that's right, you cant view, edit, copy, run, delete, move, rename, open or anything)

- reboot (i restarted cause sometimes thats all i need to do in order for a file to no longer be in use so i can delete it

- repair (i tried a repair using winrar and msdos chkdsk. they say there is no such file)

- norton antivirus wipe info. (a program found in norton's suite that deletes files perminently with an option to do a "government wipe" and such)

- start up in safe mode and deleting it both from my account, and the admin account

- running the dos promt in windows, cleanly shut down explorer.exe, got back to the dos prompt, and tried to delete them from there....still no good.

- boot disk (starting up from a boot disk and deleting it from there)

that last one was really wierd for me. i don't know dos all that well but i could have sworn i was doing things right. but for some reason everything i typed was an invalid command. i find that very annoying. maybe my bootdisk is crap or who knows. it actually said it was "windows me" when i actually have xp pro. a friend of mine said i was doing the commands wrong so here's what i typed just so you guys know.

a:\ (i didn't type that, its just always a:\ )

a:\del c:\thefile

so then i tried to get onto the c drive which i THINK is

a:\cd.. c:\

or maybe no dots, or no slash. i'm not sure but i tried all possibilities you know. still no good. i coudln't even exit, or restart via command. so that's when i thought my bootdisk is crap. i think i'm gonna test it using the boot disks from partition magic pro.

so anyway. i would really appreciate it if someone could give me some ideas as to what was going on, why do you think it happend, and what do you think i should do in order to delete them. its really bugging me because its not something that big in order for me to format the drive, the files aren't doing anything, they're just alwasy there, but then how can i try to run trivbot again. so i'm actually thinking about formatting even thought it's overkill and i'm really not in the mood. and i'm actaully scared that not even the format can delete them. o_O

thank you very much for your time and i hope to hear from you guys/gals soon.

2. Pancake

Pancake

3. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

i did that. i mentioned it in my first post. "opend dos, and cleanly closed explorer".

i hear that they call that closing explorer "cleanly". thanks anyway though.

i read from another unrelated post that in order to get to the hard drive, i just have to type "cd" in the dos prompt. and i learned a new way to get into safe mode with a dos prompt by pressing f8 on startup. i'm gonna try that. i think it'll be my last hope.

thanks for the tip though. i appreciate your help. :)

4. SSG RONFIN

SSG RONFIN

you can download moveonboot, which is an app that will delete those pesky files when you reboot.

5. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

really? wow. sounds cool. i tried to use a program as well, but it was shareware and it didn't do anything. i hope moveonboot is freeware. i think i'll try that first before i do the f8 thing cause i don't dos all that much. thanks for the tip.

6. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

ok. now i am really annoyed. i have done the following, and the problem is still not fixed.

- used moveonboot as recommended. the program cannot access the file. can't begin the removal process. i got as far as "ok, now click start process in order to delete the file" or whatever. and it coudln't start.

- rebooted and pressed f8 to start windows in safe mode with a dos prompt. i tried to delete the files there, but it says "unkown file" or something like that. it can't find it/recognize it. when i type "dir" it LISTS the files i wanted deleted. but when i try to delete them, it says i can't find it and so..it can't.

i gotta tell ya, this is really bugging me. how can something be absolutely, positively unmovable, unviewable, and everything? i even tried to make sure the permissions were all correct, all the files are always "read only" but when uncheck it, it just goes back on or it can't change hte properties. i have tried this as admin as well. (even though i am admin). basically i tried it with my admin powers, and then i tried it logging in as admin as well. still unmovable, and undeletable, even unviewable.

any help?

7. moper

moper

One more thing you might try. You said the DIR command lists the file. Use: DIR /X /A to see the SHORT FILE NAMES of the files and directories there. Then DEL the short file name.

moper

8. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

only one of the corrupt (i might as well call it corrupt since it doesn't do anything now)

but only one of the corrupt files actually has a shorter name. the rest are already short and so it doesn't give them a shorter one.

here are the folders that are corrupt

ask (folder)
    ini (folder)
    trivbot (folder, this is the only one dos gives me a short name for)
    lst (folder)
    scores (folder)

there all folders. all from trivbot's zip file. i tried the to delete the shortcut name for trivbot, but it also says it can't. man its gonna be so annoying to format just to make a trivia bot work. >.< its simply not a good enough reason.

9. moper

moper

Are there files inside these folders? If so, try deleting the files one at a time using DEL with the short name. When the folder is empty, type CD\ and use RMDIR on the folder. You must include the path to the folder.

moper

10. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

that's the problem. i can't open them either. inaccesible. unvieable. i can't do anything with them. i'm lucky i can view their properties. but i can't go in the folders either. i used to before this happend. but now i can't and i have no clue why.

does anyone know if xp has some hidden feature that controls read/write permissions for files?

11. downtime

downtime

Try searching through the registry for the folder names. Do any of them come up?

12. moper

moper

I am just a little confused as to whether we are talking Files or Folders. They are different. Just try this: Start, Run, and type "CMD" and press enter. Type "CD\" and press enter. Type "DIR /P" and press enter. Do you see your 'Folders'? Note: type only what is between the quotes.

13. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

yes i do. they are folders. and i can see them in dos. but when i try to delete them in dos, dos says:

"could not find C:\ask\*"

('ask' is one of the folders i can't delete)

4 folders total i think

and i thought about looking for the files in the registry, but i didn't knwo where to look. and when i use find...well..i never tried that, and i tried it right now, and its taking forever to find "trivbot" and when i made it look for "ask" it gave me "taskmanager" instead.

i wonder if cleaning the registry might fix it. never tried that.

14. moper

moper

Ok. Again, go to Start, Run, CMD, CD\, and then type: "RMDIR C:\ask". If that gives error, try: "CD ask", and see if it changes to that directory.

15. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

dos says "access is denied"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!