1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't delete Webroot Desktop Firewall files from Internet cache

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by KristinaPaquette, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KristinaPaquette

KristinaPaquette Thread Starter

I have been using Webroot Desktop Firewall (WDF), Version 5.8.0.25, for about 2 years and just started having problems in deleting 34 WDF files from my Internet cache (c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files). The first file is:

res://WDF.exe/gif/148 Last accessed 4/30/2010 8:35PM

The remaining 33 files are the same except for the last 3 digits, which are 148, 152, 150, 169, 164, 205, etc. (I can provide the digits for the remaining files if you need them). They were all last accessed at the same date and time.

I have tried to delete these files manually in SAFE mode (WDF is not loaded) but with no success. The only time I can delete them is, while in full operating mode, I close WDF, reopen WDF, and delete them from Windows Explorer without refreshing after reopening WDF. When I refresh, all the files come back plus new files that are repeats of the 34 original files except that they have new "Last accessed" dates/times that coincide with when I reopened WDF. I can delete these new files but not the old ones with the "Last accessed" date/time of 4/30/2010 8:35PM.

It appears that some glitch occurred with WDF on 4/30/2010 at 8:35PM that caused these 34 files to be permanently retained in the Internet cache while the files actually used during WDF operation are easily deleted.

I deleted all my index.dat files while in SAFE mode, but this did not fix the problem either.

This is not a huge deal as the 34 files occupy only 134K. I’m just curious what’s going on, especially as I have not updated or changed my WDF in any way. Any suggestions for deleting these files would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using Win XP SP3, IE8.

2. KristinaPaquette

KristinaPaquette Thread Starter

I contacted Webroot about this problem, and they recommended uninstalling WDF and running a WDF removal tool that they provided via download. I tried these, but the files still stubbornly remain in my Internet cache. Note: when I try to delete them in SAFE mode, my PC beeps very loudly, and no notice comes up that they are in use by another program.

Webroot warned that I would not be able to reinstall WDF because it is no longer available as a free download for customers who have purchased other Webroot products. That was fine because I downloaded the free version of ZoneAlarm to replace WDF. I feel better about that because I don't want WDF leaving more impossible-to-delete files in my Internet cache.

Again, if anyone has recommendations for removing these files, please let me know!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice