1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Delete?!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TennisWitch, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TennisWitch

TennisWitch Thread Starter

Hi,
    I recently installed Backup4All 3. This is a freeware backup program that I really like. However, while I was learning how to use it, I created a backup folder in MY Documents that seems to be quite large, and I can't seem to delete it. The file in question was created by the program, but is in regular windows format (that is, not the zipped format of the backups). When I try to delete it, I get a prompt that says "Can"t delete file. The file is not valid or the file name is too long." I have tried deleting it from the bottom up so to speak, but to no avail. I tried deleting it is safe mode, and the same thing happens. It's taking up 1.14mgs of space, and I want it gone. I have backed up everything just in case something goes wrong, and would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks,
    TW
    Gateway Pentium 4
    250 Gig HD
    1 Gig mem

2. DBClark

DBClark

If you haven't done so already, try right-clicking the file and then properties and uncheck the read only attribute.

You can also try safe mode, (command prompt), and navigate to the file in DOS like mode and then delete???

That's the first two things that I would try.

3. TennisWitch

Thanks for such a quick reply! I tried unchecking the "read only" box, and it didn't work. I don't know my way around the DOS prompt, but I know how to get there. What do I type in?
    Thanks,
    TW

4. DBClark

DBClark

Uninstalling the program may let go of the file so that you can delete it, just another thought or option.

Note the directory of the file...I believe you said My documents folder. Boot to safe mode, command prompt only option. You will end up in a near full page dos prompt. You may end up, by default in your My Documents folder???? Looking something like this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Dave>

If you do, type in "dir", without the quotes and then enter. This will give you a list of folders and files in that folder. Note the spelling of the file, exactly as you see it, and then type del (space) filename.

If you don't end up in your My Documents folder type cd\ and hit enter. Then cd\ (space)Documents and Settings, hit enter. Then cd\ (space) and then your specific folder, usually your name, and enter.

Let me know if get anywhere or not or have problems or questions.

5. TennisWitch

Maybe I am just not doing things right, but I can't seem to get into My Documents through DOS. After I typ in "dir" I get the list of C:, but it is not a list of folder and files, it's a list of folders and DIRS within My Docs and Settings. Then when I try cd\ space, I just get back to the C:\> prompt. I tried a different entries to get into the DIRS and get nowhere.
    Any other suggestions out there?
    Thank you,
    TW

6. Softland

Softland

7. TennisWitch

However, I managed to delete all of the files' content with Ashampoo WinOpimizer, and now the supposedly empty files remain. This is a folder in "My Documents," which was originally named My Backups, and is now appropriately termed "My BadBackup." I tried to delete the file with the program you suggested, and it said that it succeeded, however the file still remains. It just won't budge. I like the program though, I'm sure it will come in handy in other instances. For now, this issue is still unsolved. Thanks for trying.
    TW

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you reboot and then try deleting it?

I'm not sure what "regular windows format" is. Either this program made an exact duplicate of the files, or it has a proprietary file type that it creates when it backs up data.

9. TennisWitch

Yes, I rebooted and tried to delete. No luck.
    TW

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice