Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

can't detect modem

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  ~Candy~ 
#1 ·
when trying to install netscape, computer doesn't recognize dialup modem, any suggestions?

#6 ·
An ethernet modem normally doesn't have to be installed.

If they have an ethernet modem, there is absolutely no need for the dial up modem.

I'm thinking that he isn't explaining the entire situation to you quite clearly.

I need to run to Costco for my weekly shopping, so, if I don't reply for awhile, don't think that I've abandoned you......real life calls :D Perhaps while I'm gone, you can find out who the ISP is, details on the modem, brand, etc. I'm assuming he has either cable or DSL? The more info you can provide, the better input we can give......it's a garbage in, garbage out theory :)

#8 ·
I'm dealing with my son-in-law in Jacksonville, I'm in Tampa, and getting info from him is like pulling teeth, he has no ISP that I can tell, system will boot up but he saya it won't ID any modem, I've decided to let him tinker with it because I'm getting a little resistance if you know what I mean, I really appreciate your help but untill I can give you anything substantial I don't want to bother you with it, hard to deal with kids sometimes.........tks for everything...............Andy

#9 ·
Ok, well, then now, I'm really confused. If he has no ISP, where in heaven's earth is he thinking he's dialing?

And I understand kids......

When and if he gets frustrated enough to provide info:

1) Who is he paying on a monthly basis to gain internet access? A cable company? An ISP like AOL, MSN, PeoplePC, etc.?

2) Info on the Ethernet modem and exactly how it is connected to the computer, via a router? Or direct?

3) Has he EVER EVER been online with this computer, and if so HOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.