1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't detect modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mullo96, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mullo96

mullo96 Thread Starter

my computer is a compaq presario 5900t, windows 98 se, pentium 3- 733, 384 RAM, modem is conexant 56k pci fax modem. my problem is that my hard drive went bad, and i installed a new one. i can get everything to work, except the modem. i receive the message: Could not detect modem. It may be turned off, in use, or not installed properly. I have removed it from device manager and tried plug and play several times, and installed drivers. it finds the hardware, but it still doesn't connect. the isp number is correct, as i'm using it on another computer. i also got a different error message once also. it was "cannot read port name from regsistry". compaq suggested reinstalling COM ports and Modem drivers. I followed their instructions, but that doesn't help. any suggestion????? (by the way, this is a great forum. very helpful in the past)

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Go to Control Panel>Modem and open. Go to the Diagnostics tab, highlight the modem and then the More Info button. Does it respond with modem information or not? If not, leave the modem installed, and go to Add/Remove Hardware and install it again. It Should put it on another Com Port. If it was on #1, the next one should be on #2. Go to Modems again and test the new install.

3. mullo96

mullo96 Thread Starter

Hi Paul thanks for the reply i will try this and get back to you i have to switch things over from one cpu to the other.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice