1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't detect network card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gugu, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gugu

Gugu Thread Starter

hello hello

I am trying to setup a network. I got a new laptop recently. And i bought a router the other day. But whenever i go to 'my network location' there's nothing there except ''Make a new connection'

A friend told me it shouldn't be difficult to get internet on my new laptop as well. ''perhaps you still need to activate/enable your network card'' he told me on the phone. But I just can't find anything. I have tried the ''new hardware wizard' but to no avail.

So i thought maybe I dont have a netwok card. afterall , I am a computer illiterate. But the acquaintance in question assured me I had one, because '' you have plugged the ethernet cable in your laptop + router, haven't you?'' ofcourse I have, and the router's led is glowing. however it doesnt blink, because there's no internet connection yet.

Do you guys happen to know how to activate, or at least see my network card thing? I really feel bad about calling the friend in question , asking him over to help me. He has helped me several times already. The time my pc got infected with trojans, and with my dvd burner drive as well. Moreover, he makes it sound so easy.

windows 2000 professional on the laptop by the way. ( XP on my pc)

I have really tried my utmost best to setup an network. But the problems keep occuring like a never ending story.( I have returned a wireless router, now i have a wired one) but now there's this whole card thing! tell me anything you know! anything helps!

2. courtlandhui

courtlandhui

Was the driver for the network card installed? It might seem like the problem since the New Hardware Wizard didn't detect one. What's your computer model?

3. Gugu

Gugu Thread Starter

I have no idea. computer : Compaq Armada

4. courtlandhui

courtlandhui

No model number? Most compaqs have model numbers in front of the case or something like it.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is your third thread on this topic, please do NOT create multiple threads for the same issue. I've answered this one in Networking.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/554494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice