1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant Detect Network Device

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DizzyGuy, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DizzyGuy

DizzyGuy Thread Starter

recently reformated my computer ive done it many times before and i dont recall this happening to me last time but my computer failed to recognize my network devide so im stuck with the 1394 connection that isnt allowing me to connect, i was wondering if anyone can help me identify my network driver

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Reformatted? Why? Was there a problem with the file system? How did you "reformat" outside of the installation process?

Did you also install Windows?

If Windows is installed, does the device appear in Device Manager?

Make/model of network card?

3. DizzyGuy

DizzyGuy Thread Starter

yeah i reformated and installed windows, and i dont think it shows up in the device manager for the devices that are still unknown in "other devices" i have:

other PCI bridge device
    PCI device
    SM Bus Controller
    Video Controller

as far as i kno none of them are the network device that im looking for but even if they are i havent managed to get them installed

4. DizzyGuy

DizzyGuy Thread Starter

i think i had a similar problem to this years ago with my soundcard, i remember someone telling me of a program i can download that helps identify all the drivers on my computer, does anyone kno of this program?

5. DizzyGuy

DizzyGuy Thread Starter

yeah um... im assuming no 1 is helping me because they dont kno the solution?
    i forgot to mention that as i reformated i also changed locations so the last known ISP isnt the same but i would've figured since i reformated that wouldnt of made a difference..
    is there a chance that if i try reformating again the drive might be detected? and also do most network drives come with a CD rom that has the driver info on it?

the reason i reformated was my internet was being much slower then usual, ping was jumping from 90 to 900 to 9000 (usually a 9 number)

any feedback would be apreciated im kind've stumped over here

6. DizzyGuy

DizzyGuy Thread Starter

since my topics been moved i should probably note that this is a windows XP comp

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi DizzyGuy

I have moved your thread to the Networking forum, where hopefully you'll get more help.
    I received your pm. Please remember this site is purely volunteer, everyone has a different time that they show up here and some of us need an occasional night or week off.

Elvandil knows his way around computers :)
    Be sure to answer ALL questions asked of you and be brief and to the point, as we cannot see what you see.

If you feel you would be better served taking your computer into the shop, then by all means, do what makes you feel comfortable. But if you have the patience to wait, you may get an answer in the morning and learn something during the process. Though there are no guarantees, not everyone gets an answer to their question.

Thanks for noting your operating system. :)

8. DizzyGuy

DizzyGuy Thread Starter

Reformatted? Why? Was there a problem with the file system? How did you "reformat" outside of the installation process?
    yes, my computers internet connection suddenly became very slow and i had a strong feeling i had been hacked or infected by an specific individual, im sorry i did reformat through the installation process i forgot to mention that, do you suggest i retry reformating? perhaps the second time i will get more lucky?

Did you also install Windows?
    yes

If Windows is installed, does the device appear in Device Manager?
    no

Make/model of network card?
    thats what im trying to figure out :(

9. DizzyGuy

DizzyGuy Thread Starter

just curious if anyone knows of a program out there that helps identify network card or perhaps other drivers that are on ur computer, i recall using a program in the past that identified everything that is attached to the computer but it was so long ago i dont recall the name of the program

10. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

My response was not to make you feel dumb or foolish. I understand, we all want our issues resolved quickly.
    You can quote Elvandil's post and answer any questions you might have missed before, in this thread.
    It helps to keep everything here on the forums.

Get some sleep and check back in the morning. :)

11. DizzyGuy

DizzyGuy Thread Starter

i guess i edited my post a second before you made yours, yeah i kno you we'rent trying to imply anything negative, i apreciate the honesty and the push forward that you're providing

once again sorry for PM'ing you.. guess i was desperate enough to bother people

12. BG-0

BG-0

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One of those "other devices" is likely your ethernet. Download and install your chipset drivers first, then networking and any other drivers needed.

This is my preferred order for finding drivers:

1. PC manufacturer's web site,
    2. Motherboard manufacturer's web site,
    3. Device manufacturer's web site,
    4. A "drivers" site, such as DriverGuide,
    5. Anywhere you can find one that might work,
    6. Let Device Manager try to find one.
    7. Use Windows Update.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice