1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant detect network type

Discussion in 'Networking' started by line.ex, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. line.ex

line.ex Thread Starter

Ok so last night we had a power cut while my computer was on (never good). Anyway instead of restarting i just decided to go to bed. I wake up this morning only to find out that my wireless connection is broken.

As far as i can tell my pci card that i use to connect is a no-name brand. But has been working fine for many months now etc etc... I also have a (semi-broken) wireless dongle that i have also tried (by safecom).

So too the point. Using the pci card i first try using the third party software that came with it. I press enable to the netgear network and it just sits there with a red tick next to it (usually changes to a green). Thinking this to be odd i try using the windows zero config. I try to connect to the network and it pauses while saying "detecting network type" then i get the message "unable to connect to network, it may be out of range try refreshing" but it always stays in the network list and i have no problems there.

I take out my old wireless dongle. It works just the solder connecting the USB connector and the card is broken so i have to prop it up at an angle to get it to work. So after installing this again i try connecting only to get the same message. So i take out my 30m Ethernet cable and run it all around the house to the router and it works. But as you can probably tell, this isnt convenient.

This is pretty much the problem, i can try on another machine to connect later (but a few are down for other reasons, but i haven't fixed them because there not mine). So i can test it out on another computer to see if netgear kicked the bucket, but i dont think so because wired connections work fine.

Im running xp home edition SP2. Ive looked on windows knowledge database etc disabled all firewalls, checked in the event log along with a wide variety of other things such as resitting the card. My network is wep encrypted but i dont get a prompt and third party programs manage the encryption not windows but the third party programs arnt even giving me an error message, just not connecting.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your idea to test the wireless network with another computer is right on. You need to first isolate the problem to the router or to your PC. Even though encryption doesn't seem to be the problem, I'd still disable that to eliminate one more variable.

It's wise to try both a 3rd party wireless utility and WZC, as you have done, but I caution to make sure that the other one is not running--they will conflict and give random errors.

3. line.ex

line.ex Thread Starter

Update: Well other computers do work. So im assuming its mine. But that just leads to more questions. If its windows, ive had problems with windows network files being corrupt before, and it doesn't allow wired connections either. But i dont think its third party because both wireless devices dont work. Which just makes me more confused... Im so confused.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unfortunately, when the power goes out, and especially if it comes back while the PC is still plugged in, there can be a lot of "confusion" in the PC. :(

You haven't mentioned, or I missed, your version of Windows. I'll make an assumption and if I'm wrong you can post the correction.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. line.ex

line.ex Thread Starter

I did what you said and thank you very much. It didnt reconise the second command but when i looked over at the clock to see the time i noticed it was wirelessly connected! I hadnt even reset and it had done something... So thank you very much

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Is this SP2? That's the stack reset for XP-SP2.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice