1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't detect printer port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Golfpak2001, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Golfpak2001

Golfpak2001 Thread Starter

Hey everyone!

I'm having a problem with my printer, a Canon Bubble-Jet S300, running XP Home. It was working a few weeks ago and then I moved and now it won't work. I've uninstalled it, re-installed with updated drivers, or rather I tried to re-install it, but it keeps coming back saying it can't detect the printer port which is LPT1. I even tried switching ports to no avail. I've done pretty much all the basics, even uninstalling the port and re-installing it--Nothing.
    Any ideas out there?

2. Golfpak2001

Golfpak2001 Thread Starter

You mean to tell me that NOBODY here knows anything about this?? Somebody has to know something to fix this. Anybody?????

3. cj_white

cj_white

do you have a printer icon at all when you go to printers in control panel? if yo do right click on printer and goto properties. click on the ports tab. see if there is an LPT1 listed. if not create it and see if that works. also does your printer have a USB connection? if it does i would use that cuz its a lot faster

4. Bad Monkey

Bad Monkey

As cj stated, try using the printer through USB (if it has USB) and see if that works. If so, at least we know that the printer itself works.

Some other suggestions in addition to cj's (in no particular order) are:

A) Try using a different printer cable and see how that works.

B) Try going into the BIOS and check to see if your parallel port (LPT1) is enabled. I actually had this problem a few weeks ago and it turned out that the port was not enabled in my BIOS settings.

C) Connecting printer to another computer and see what happens.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/198388