1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant detect wireless printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tsl90, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsl90

tsl90 Thread Starter

Very frustrated.

Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.5
    Canon MX870
    Linksys wrt54g router

The printer finds the network. It says the connection is active - and if I unplug the router that changes to inactive, and back to active when I plug back in. So I feel the printer - router connection is OK.

The computer finds the network fine - evidenced by the fact that I'm wirelessly on the internet now.

The setup software tells me the printer can't be detected. I've played with a few of the alphabet soup of settings on the router page - but none seem to have any effect.

Would greatly appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

TL

2. tsl90

tsl90 Thread Starter

For anyone else with this problem:

This helped:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1341

After reseting the printer system click add a printer and select the MX870. It also shows up as a bonjour scanner. I just selected the printer first and it worked fine. Suspected I might not be able to scan if I didn't select the scanner as well so I did that too. I don't have time to try and scan something but the printer still works wirelessly.

Hope that helps someone.

TL

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice