1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Disable Hot Corners

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by panamahat, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi:

I'm having some major issues with the hot corners part of Windows 8. These things seem to fly out any time my cursor strays to the sides of the screen. I have to find the cursor and click in the main screen to get rid of them. Sometimes it takes more than one click to get rid of this nuisance. The time and frustration loss is mounting.

I've installed classic shell and tried its delete function as well as both of the main ways to get rid of hot corners as provided by various sites. Unfortunately, none of them works. I still get these annoying things jumping out at me every few seconds.

Am hoping someone here has had better luck with this problem and can pass it on. Failing that, I'd like to return to Vista -- actually, this is a brand new computer so it never had Vista. I'd like to use Vista, if there's an option to do that.

Thanks,
    Jane

2. raybro

raybro

Change Classic Shell settings as shown in the screen shot. It works for me.

Attached Files:

3. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Did that, too, and it didn't work. I've just discovered that my computer's been hacked by Softronics so maybe that has something to do with all these fixes failing. Am posting on the Malware forum. Sheesh, what a day.

But thanks for your help. Always appreciated.

Jane

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I just "knew" there had to be somebody somewhere who preferred Vista. :)

If you have Windows 8 Pro you can install Vista (or Windows 7) and use your Windows 8 Product Key. IF, and that's a big IF, there are Vista drivers for your machine. And you have to find Vista to install. The source of my information: Microsoft Allows Users to Downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7, Vista

5. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Well, that's not going to work, it seems. I don't have Windows 8 Pro from what I can tell. I have Vista on another system and was hoping there might be a way to transfer it to this new computer. The flying objects, the hot corners, are so disconcerting that I've decided not to use this computer until the other one fails (supposedly it's a single breath from the grave) or Microsoft comes out with a way to delete the hot corners. I can't figure out why the solutions which appear to work for everyone else aren't working for me. There must be a setting somewhere that's preventing it but darned if I know what that could be

Jane -- in sadness :(

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Only if it is Retail. If OEM (pre-installed by custom builder or Dell, Acer, HP, etc.) it is "locked" to the original computer.

7. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Why am I not surprised. *sigh*

Thanks for the info.

Jane

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice