1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't disable Onboard Video on PC Chips M841LR Board - Award Bios, HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaykali, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaykali

jaykali Thread Starter

I've got a PC Chips M841LR board which works fine but it won't let me install my new Xtasy 64MB Geforce 2 PCI card. I tried it in windows 2000, & now in XP. It seems like this is a common problem but I've yet to see a decent solution. Here's what I've tried,

-disabling &/or uninstalling onboard video drivers & rebooting in vga
    -disabling shared video memory (default is 32MB)
    -rebooting in vga then installing video card's drivers and restarting

When ever I boot back up my computer locks up with the mouse cursor in the center of the screen. PC Chip's support is not existent, I've seen supposed IRQ reassigning solutions & that confuses me a little bit. I've pretty much given up, please help!!! Thanks in advance,
    -Jay Callicott

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

In the BIOS is it set to AGP or PCI ??

It should be PCI...

3. jaykali

jaykali Thread Starter

its definately pci, but that option doesnt seem to affect anything

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok good...

I down loaded the manual and am looking at it, because it sounds to me like it is an IRQ conflict...

Can you go into the BIOS and under the " PCI / Plug and Play Setup Page " set the " Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA " to No and see if it helps...

5. jaykali

jaykali Thread Starter

ya i tried that too, it still froze & i had also disabled the shared memory too

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Have you tried to move the card to a different slot ??

7. tvance.net

tvance.net

You probably dont want hear to this .......... but I have NEVER been able to get integrated video to be overridden by a card, which is plain ol' crud, since they all say you can.

Sound, has never been a problem, but video always seems to be...dont know why?

sorry, tv

8. jaykali

jaykali Thread Starter

nope, why would that matter? and am i doing the right thing in windows, do i have to uninstall the onboard driver or just disable it?

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

You will have to uninstall the driver, and I have seen with some video cards, they do not like some PCI slots ( I don't know why, I think it has something to do with the slots being assigned a specific memory address and/or a certian IRQ ), if you can try changing slots and see if it helps...

Just my humble 2 pennies

10. jaykali

jaykali Thread Starter

thx i'll try that later - i hope it works

11. CPU_Polizei

CPU_Polizei

laff, PC Chips, replace that crap now! :D. Sorry man, I had to say it, it's PC chips for God's sake.

12. jaykali

jaykali Thread Starter

you can be so cruel when you're sober

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

LOL !!! :D

PC Chips does have a bad reputation, but I have a PC Chips M585LMR MBO, and have seen my share of problems with it, but since VIA got off their dead A** and wrote some good drivers for XP, this pc has been running error free ( other than the ones that I cause :D ) for quite a while now...

14. CPU_Polizei

CPU_Polizei

I'm jus sayin, motherboards cost like $100 for a good one. That's cash-money, but not thaaaat much.

I mean, take Gigabyte's KT333 board for instance. It gives you ATA/133 RAID, 10/100 LAN, 5.1 sound, 5 pci, 1 agp, overclocking options, dual bios, and 3 memory slots. All for like $105. That's awesome.

http://www.giga-byte.com.tw/products/7vrxp.htm

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/89141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice