1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Display a web page - very confused

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by techg, Jul 8, 2007.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techg

techg Guest Thread Starter

I recently ran into a problem that first started small and then got worse. Interestingly, it doesn't appear to be a huge problem, but no matter what I tried, I just could not for the life of me solve it! Well, basically, the only problem I have is that my computer will not display a certain (type of) page on a website. Both of these specific pages contain information graphs - I think that has something to do with the problem perhaps - and when I attempt to bring it up, it's a blank page, but I'm still kept in the site and can access the links which are normally at the top of the page (they still remain there) - the only thing is the information itself on the page is not there - it's a blank, white page (with the links at the top still).
    Anyway, for the longest time I was able to easily access these pages no problem, and then all of a sudden I started realizing that only sometimes I could access them, and now finally I am not able access them at all, anytime.
    Here is the scoop: I'm running internet explorer version 6 on Windows XP pro and, as I said, everything ran 'problem-free' for a fairly long time (i.e. many months, since I've been accessing this site), and furthermore, I do not currently experience any problems at all with any other site or web page.
    This is a 'brief' description of what I've tried in attempt to solve this seemingly 'isolated' problem:
    One of the first things that came to my mind was that I don't have the right program(s) to display the information (which, keep in mind, I never had the problem before, and I always used, basically, the same programs) - so, I went and installed/updated the latest versions of stuff like java and Adobe. Didn't solve it.
    Then, eventually, it dawned on me that it could be an internet security issue - but I quickly ruled that out after 'playing' with my settings and doing some research, and then finally disabling my firewall (Norton) to see if that made a difference...it didn't. Just a note, I keep my computer very clean with anti-virus and anti-spyware software etc. - and there didn't show any viruses on my pc either.
    Well, I started getting pretty annoyed and I took the final step of reformatting my computer. Even after doing that, once I got the internet up (I have high speed dsl), I was amazed that I still encountered the problem!
    To wrap this up, I took extensive time in making sure I had all the right drivers and whatnot and I did quite a bit of experimenting....NOTHING WORKED!!
    I just want to stress the fact that this was never an issue and just seemed to 'pop up' out of nowhere. Furthermore, I verified that this was not a problem on my mom's (rather outdated) computer!!
    I really have no clue what to do... sorry for long explanation and thanks for taking time to read this.
    I would definitely count myself lucky if someone knew how to crack this one.
    Thanks for the help!!!

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Hello and welcome to TSG

have you emptied all your tempfiles and folders

tools intenet options
    delete files cookies and offline content

Change your cache setting to 50 mb as well

3. techg

Hi and thanks for the welcome! It's nice to have a 'helping hand' when you need it ;)
    I often do actually delete my cookies and files (for various reasons). However, I've not changed the cache setting before - so I tried that (I assume you wanted me to *increase* it from its present setting to 5000MB - ?). Anyway, I did that, and had no luck.
    I did, however, have a thought: perhaps my web browser has something to do with all of this....? I'm considering getting a more current browser (any suggestions? - I hear that IE7 is not so great - I'm considering firefox 2 and opera 9). Hopefully I'll have some luck then. I'm using IE6 right now.
    Thanks

4. rabgary

rabgary

If this is a site anyone can go to(no passwords or private info,etc) it would help if you could post a link to it so some of us could try it out and see if it works for us.

Edit:Maybe it is the site and not you.

5. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

No lol 50 not 5000

6. techg

My bad.
    Here's the link
    https://www.tradeking.com/
    what you would do then is simply click on the "quotes and research" link and that should immediately bring up the graph and whatever else (I get a blank page). It works on my family's computer.

7. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Now i had to allow an active x to load before i could see the graphs

check your settings in IE i am not sure as i have ie7 and it works for me

8. rabgary

rabgary

All of the links under "quotes and research" seem to work.But just clicking on "quotes and research" brings up this.The data or whatever is supposed to load doesn't.Using IE7 also.

Attached Files:

9. techg

I'm not terribly familiar with all the 'right settings' and whatnot. What should I be looking for? Also, I remember checking some stuff out on the active x thing, what's that all about - again, not very familiar. Thx

10. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

I get this:D

Attached Files:

11. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

try resetting all the security tabs to default and reset advanced options as well

tools internet options

12. techg

yeah, no luck

13. techg

hmmmm.......

14. techg

I'm starting to think more and more that it has something to do with the browser

15. techg

should i reboot and try it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice