1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't do a backup because of "no A drive"

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Heinrich, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Heinrich

Heinrich Thread Starter

Hi, please help me making a backup from my Notebook. I have a 5 year old but in perfect order MEDION MD5400 Notebook. It has a hard drive, a CD rom drive and the USB ports. If I want to backup my Hard drive it ask for me to have a disk and my "A" drive ready. But I don't have a "A" drive, and I can not use a flash drive or anything else (like an ext.hard drive etc.) because I simply can't assign an "A" drive letter to anything I attach. (I can name it "A" drive but it is not recognised by the system as an "A" drive. It always assigns the next letter available. I tried it via the Bios too but this does not work either. It only boots up from the C: or D: drive. If there is anyone who can help give me some advise I would be most greatful. Thanks...Heinrich

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Are you using the NT backup feature on windows?

If so just backup to an external HDD, trust me this is possible.

3. Heinrich

Heinrich Thread Starter

thanks for your response but no, I don't use the NT backup feature nor do I know about it. I use Windows XP pro and when I want to make a backup it just ask for placing a disk into the "A" drive.

4. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

I know, Microsoft Windows XP Professional comes with this backup tool, If you are not using it which application are you using?

5. Heinrich

Heinrich Thread Starter

Hi thanks, you are right and I have it working now. thanks again, problem solved.

6. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Your welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice