1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't do an underscore in one letter of an email address

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by madgewilfire, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madgewilfire

madgewilfire Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8095 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 222 GB (163 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., X555LAB
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
    I have a friend who now has a Sky email address wherein the first letter of his address is underscored but I can't seem to get this to work. I have tried doing it on my gmail and also on my windows mail without success. I have typed in the first letter then held down the shift key while pressing the underscore key but all that happens is the underscore symbol goes next to the letter. Help! And thanks in anticipation.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What do you mean by "Sky email address wherein the first letter of his address is underscored"?

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You mean something like a or B?

You'd have to type it in notepad, wordpad or an Office program and then paste the underlined letter into the field where you want it.

4. madgewilfire

I mean as is written by Plodr below. ie: the first letter of the email address is underscored as in [email protected] the first b needs to be underscored. I will try doing it as advised by Plodr and see if that works.

5. madgewilfire

Thank you Plodr. I am going to try that method and see what happens.

6. madgewilfire

Plodr. I have tried doing what you advised but it doesn't work for me. I went into MS Word 365 typed the required letter underlined it, went to address email by pasting the underlined letter but what I got was the letter with two small dots beneath it. There must be away????

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    what happens if you were to have this person send you an email and you copy and paste it from that email?

8. madgewilfire

I have just asked him to do what you have suggested through a message on a website I know he uses. He works very unsocial hours so catching him is difficult. Thanks for your help. fingers crossed i can find my way around this really annoying problem.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I don't use Office 365 so I can't help you sort that out.
    I also don't run Windows 10.
    I tried it in Wordpad. I was able to underscore the letter c but it didn't paste the underscore, it only pasted the letter. I checked the clipboard and it shows a plain c without an underscore.

I was hoping there was an Ascii code for underscored letters but sadly there doesn't appear to be.
    https://theasciicode.com.ar/ascii-p...erstrike-underbar-low-line-ascii-code-95.html
    You can get the underscore by itself _ but not a letter with it.

I found a png with underscored letters
    http://johnmorrow.info/symbols/alpha_over_under.png
    Unfortunately they don't paste and he doesn't explain how he typed them.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice