1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't do online scan?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by stocker340, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stocker340

stocker340 Thread Starter

Hi

I have a strange problem.
    I have some kind of Virus/adware problem.
    Everytime I try to do an online virus scan or adware scan the browser or program closes.
    I can have the browser open and surf to any site other then an antivirus site like trendmicro,ravantivirus panda scan etc then the browser closes or I get the google page to come up after hitting enter.
    I can surf to any page that it not antivirus/spyeare related.
    Any ideas on this one guys??

Thxs

Dale

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

hi, Welcome to TSG!

Would like to have you post a log from HijackThis, a program (very tiny) that we use to see what problems exist.

There are directions here to do it: There are .zip form and .exe form, take your pick.

Download it here:

http://radiosplace.com/

Or here.

It's a direct download so be ready with the folder for it.

Basically, you must create a new folder, the desktop is OK provided you make a folder, name it something like HJT, and download TO that folder, run hijackthis.exe from there. If there ARE other users of the computer who might start HJT and try to use it, hide the program in a folder elsewhere! You can create the folder in My Documents, Program Files, etc or create an entirely new folder anywhere---except the temp locations.
    Hijackthis shows both good and bad items and once run, changes are reversible only if you have the Backups in a folder where you can easily find them. Running Hijackthis from a folder you create ensures that you will have these Backups handy.

First open a reply here in your thread to have it ready.
    Run Hijackthis.exe, from it's folder that you made, and
    Select the "Scan and save a log" button...

When it is done scanning> the Save box will become available, save the log as hijackthis.txt which will open with Notepad. Hit the EDIT> Select All then the EDIT>Copy button at the top of your log, Go back to TSG, and click once in the blank reply space, then go to the top of your browser window and select EDIT>Paste.
    Please do NOT use HJT yourself to remove anything, most of what it shows is good and needed by the system

3. stocker340

4. Byteman

Hi, That may have taken care of one problem, but usually where there's one there is more. If you don't want to post a log, that's fine! If at some point you do, just reply with a log here.

5. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech

Byteman,
    Im working on a machine that has this exact same problem and if hes not willing to accept your help :D I AM! I wont get back to that right away, but within a couple days for sure if you still check this thread. Ill be in touch here. One question,this virus wont let anti-virus or anything even install, will I be able to install the HJT file? (im not by that computer right now,probably tomorrow.)

6. Byteman

Hi pctech_wannabe, Welcome to TSG!

You should always start your own thread in forums, unless you are offering assistance with something going on in the thread. Someone is apt to make a mistake and the advice you get is not for you. Besides, this thread is not closed, stocker340 may at some point come back and post some more. When you get ready to work on your problem, post here in the Security forum, describe the problem, and if Hijackthis will not work let us know. There are some things we can help with for the problem you have.

7. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech

Oh ok,sorry, I should've known that by now. Ill post a new thread when Im ready. And I apologize to you stocker. Good luck

8. stocker340

Thanks for any input guys.
    I would have posted the Hijack from the computer but my sister had already taken it back home.
    If you get this virus/worm it is a pain as it won't let you go to any anti virus sites.
    It comes in from MSN messenger.

THxs

9. Byteman

Hi stocker340, Thank you for posting back about that MSN info- someone will be helped by your getting back here.
    You could have your sister post the log and we will check it if she wants to-

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/339733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice