Can't double-click trash can

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zeimet1

I recently had used the Windows "System Restore" feature (to restore to the previous day) and since then some of my programs don't work. I fixed all the programs eventually but I still have one nagging problem that has me worried: I can't open my trash can by double clicking.

The only way to open my trash is to right click and select "open" or "explore," but it won't open with a double mouse click.

By the way, my trash can is protected by Norton System Works so it's possible my right-click menu is different.

Does anyone know why I can't double click it open? More importantly, how can I fix it?

Open Norton's properties by double clicking on the norton icon in your sys tray. Once it opens click on options at the top and a new window will open. On the left look at the very bottom for the Advanced Tools and click on that. It will show the Recycle Bin Properties on the right. See if something got changed there. That is a start at least.

JD

zeimet1

Thank you. That seemed to work, though don't ask me why. Even though just tweaking the trash can settings fixed it, I also went ahead and completely uninstalled Norton System Works 2003 anyway. I started using McAfee and I don't need two. Uninstalling Norton didn't cause further problems so I should be good to go.

Thanks again,

Zeimet

Hey zeimet1 - how did you restore to the previous day? did you do it during boot up? I'm trying to do that and can't figure out how. :(

zeimet1

Hi Kitty,

I have WinXP Home. I went to Start --> Programs -->Accessories --> System Tools then choose System Restore.

Good luck,

Zeimet

You restore to a previous day using System Restore. Under Windows XP, go to Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, and on the top left click on System Restore, choose a restore point and just follow the instructions.

A program that has a more robust restore feature is Norton GoBack.

What if I can't even get to the start menu? Isn't there a way to get there during the initial boot up? I've done it before but for the life of me I can't remember how I did it (it was over a year ago). The sys I'm using at the moment is Windows 2000. *SOB*

Oh what a day! lol!

Ahh okay then you want to restore to the best previous settings that worked. It depends on the PC. For some of them you have to click on F8 as computer starts up.

Just power down your system, wait for about 30 seconds, then power on, and keep pressing F8 as the computer starts up.

Ok - I've done that but it doesn't give me the option to enter in a date : ( I tried just going with the last known configuration but it still doesn't seem to work. I suppose it's because the configuration is technically still ok, but I need to get it back to the way it was on Sunday. I know everything worked ok then. I think I may have removed a program that I need yesterday by accident and that's why I can't get to my start menu.

Can ya tell I'm in a panic? LoL!!!!

Thanks so much to everyone for trying to help!!! I really appreciate it!!

Why don't you try booting into safe mode and then doing a system restore from there? You can get into that by again clicking on F8 and then choosing start in safe mode instead of last known good configuration.

Argh! Oh well - I suppose all is lost. Even in safe mode it wants me to log onto the network. Without the date option under the F8 boot up I can't do anything.

Thanks for all your help though!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online