1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't download anything with Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Archive: Windows 95/98/Me' started by ebony, Sep 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I,m presently running Windows 98. Recently when I attempted to download a program form CNET or ZDNET the computer freezes on the hourglass after I hit the download button. Sometimes I get a message "Quicktime is missing software to perform this operation.Unfortanately,it is not available on the quick time server." I have to hit Ctrl,Alt,Delete to get out. I did remove Quicktime but with no help.
    Any ideas?

2. perioniod

perioniod

uninstall quick time . then run windows update . and then you can download again

3. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I uninstalled Quick Time. What part of Windows Update should I download?

4. perioniod

perioniod

do all recomended first .. then do the enternet explorer 5..++ the higest one .. update .. you will have to do the enternext explorer pack by its self
    ;)

5. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I tried. Downloaded and installed Explorer. Now when I try to download I get error message:
    "There is no viewer available for the type of object you are trying to open.The following information is available about the object.
    Address of object : Download site address
    Content type: application/octet-steam
    Possible location of viewer Microsoft Active X Gateway"
    I looked for this viewer but can't find it at Active X Gateway

6. perioniod

perioniod

few questions can you brose the internet .
    have you tryed to download from other sites .
    sometimes the site you are downloading from has alot to do with it , also whith the nimda virus going around alot of sites are stepping up security

7. Bryan

Bryan

This was posted by WhitPhil for another situation with downloading problems and I think it could be related to your issue too if Quicktime left behind a plugin for the download dialog box.

Try this and see what happens.

Start>Run, key in Regedit and press enter.

Double left click on each of these in the Left Pane.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins

Now in the Left pane you should see a subkey named "Extension" that's listed "within" and underneath the "Plugins" key in the Left side of the screen. Right click on it and select Delete. Now close Regedit.

Restart Windows and then try downloading with IE.

BTW, please be careful and see the attached file so your sure you delete the correct one. You'll see another key called "Extensions", plural with an "s", that's not "within" and underneath the "Plugin" key. You don't want to delete that one.

Attached Files:

8. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

Problem fixed!Seemed to be quite complex.
    Thank you,
    Lee

9. Bryan

Bryan

Did you delete that registry key to fix it? If not, how did you fix it?

10. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I deleted the registry key. I guess I can reinstall Quick Time without a problem?

11. Bryan

Bryan

I wouldn't but that's up to you. You know how to fix it if it does the same thing again so I guess it can't hurt to try.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/53760