1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant download anything

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wink, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wink

Wink Thread Starter

I have the EXACT same download problem that you had! I just got finished reading everyone's response, but I wanted to make sure what precisely fixed the problem for you and how to do it

Was it the msconfig option?

Thanks!

{see previous thread: http://forums.techguy.org/t111234/s.html }

2. Del

Del

If you have Win ME or XP it has System Restore.
    To run system restore, Start > Run, type in msconfig and click ok.
    You'll see Launch System Restore at the lower left.

3. Wink

Wink Thread Starter

Well I reinstalled Windows XP yesterday and now it wont let me select a restore date before that date!

I am hoping there is another solution...

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Could you describe your problem in a little more detail?

Have you checked Internet Options > Security > Custom -- Downloads, to ensure the option is "enabled"

Does this apply to all downloads you try, or only specific file types?

Do you get a download dialog? Can you select a specific directory for the download? Does the file show up in the directory?

Have you cleared your Temporary Internet Cache?

If you are on broadband, the problem sometimes exists with the NIC card not being properly seated or configured. Have you checked with your ISP to determine if your configurations settings are correct?

Are you able to download and unzip the HijackThis application from the site below? If you can, we will give further instructions on it's use.

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

Finally, if you run msconfig and remove the check from "load startup items" (for a test only) and restart, can you download?

5. Wink

Wink Thread Starter

Basically, I cannot download any type of file form any website. When I attempt to download a file The progress box will appear and the little "flying pice of paper" will move across the screen from the earth to a picture of a file. However all of the other information remains blank--such as "time remaining"

Then after a few seconds I recieve the error message I originally reported.

My security tab is enabled for downloads.

How do you clear the temporary Internet cache? If this is the same as temporary Internet files, then I did.

I have not checked with ISP yet (AT&T)..I need to do that.

I am unable to download the Hijack file--same error message.

I will try the msconfig option you mentioned...

6. Wink

Wink Thread Starter

Ok, I reloaded without the startup items, but it didnt work.

Maybe this is a possible clue...when I go to soundblaster.com to update my drivers, there is a program that scans your computer to see if you need updating. When I attempt to do that I get the following error message--

"ActiveX control failed to load! -- Please check browser security settings or ensure that you have administrator rights.
    ActiveX control failed to load! -- Please check browser security settings or ensure that you have administrator rights."

Now I have messed with every possibe seciruty setting, but nothing seems to work. Also, I never used to have this problem before and I never mess with the settings so I dont think that is the problem.

I am the administartor as well.

Thanks for helping me out so far--if you have any more ideas they are greatly welcome!

7. waltj2

waltj2

I assume you are using IE. If so, what version?
    Check the following in IE.
    Tools-Internet Options-Security
    Is the box "Run ActiveX controls/plugins" checked?

8. Wink

Wink Thread Starter

I am using IE 6.0.

The box for "Run ActiveX controls/plugins" IS enabled.

I still can't download anything.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm not sure what 'error message' you are referring to? Is it the one you just mentioned about an activex plugin? Do you stop on a blank page with a single icon on it?

Try following the instructions given by Bryan in this post for deleting the extension key in the registry. Be sure you are at the location indicated.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?postid=247486#post247486

This has resolved many similar issues.

Also if you haven't tried right clicking on a download url and selecting "save target as", this sometimes is a workaround.

10. Wink

Wink Thread Starter

I deleted the extension file, but it didnt work. I also tried to "save target as" by right clicking but I just receive the same error message:

"Internet Explorer cannot download from document.download.submit();.

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

Not sure what to do...I cant do a system restore bc I reinstalled Win XP the other day.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's looking like some sort of java scripting screw-up with the host site not being called correctly.

Any chance you have java scripting and active x scripting disabled under Internet Options > Security > Custom > Scripting?

No alternate browser to test, I guess?

Can you download an attachment through e-mail? If yes, you might send me an e-mail and I'll return a zipped copy of HijackThis with instructions to run it, although I think this looks more like a corrupted IE or javascript problem.

Did the problem exist before the reinstall? If not, you might want to try it again.

It would be interesting to know if this site tells you you are JavaScript enabled:

http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

Here is an MS article giving methods of reinstalling IE6 in XP. I'd try sfc /scannow first. I don't know if you can get a download from Microsoft, but if you can, Method2 might be best.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q318378&

Wink: I would also suggest doing this: go to Internet Options and under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings tab, then "View Objects".

Remove everything in that folder. And if you have any Download managers installed, uninstall it.

12. Wink

Wink Thread Starter

All of the java scripting options are enabled.

Unfortunately, I don't have an alternate browser.

The email attachemts are funny. Sometimes pictures will juts pop up within the message, but I cant seem to save or download other documents such as Word docs.

The problem did exist before I reinstalled WinXP. The only other major thing I have done recently is installed a new sound card, but I dont see how that could be affecting it.

The site you sent me to tells me that I am Java script AND Java applet enabled.

I forgot to mention that since I reinstalled WinXP, I have been asked to download updates for XP. I was able to automatically download updates without problem!

I am looking into "method 2"...

13. steamwiz

steamwiz

What happens if you copy and paste this direct link into your address bar

h**p://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip

change the stars back to tt

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I would also empty out that Downloaded Programs folder, in case you missed my edit. You could have a damaged object related to a download manager there; sometimes they get put there surreptiously.

15. Wink

Wink Thread Starter

Steamhouse--I pasted that link, but got the same download error as before.

Rollin Rog--I emptied the download programs file but it had no effect.
    I am still looking into reinstalling IE 6 though.

I really appreciate you guys helping me out. I will definitely let you know what ultimately fixes the problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice