1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't download files or play streaming video!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by paulwithap, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulwithap

paulwithap Thread Starter

Lately my computer has been unable to download any files or play any streaming video. It will download or play for maybe the first 5-10 seconds and then just freeze. I completely reinstalled Windows because of this and other problems, and it was working for a week or so, but then the problem started right back up. Anyone know how to fix this?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I may not be able to personally offer a solution but it might help someone else here to help you if we knew ...

Have you updated Windows Vista to Service Pack 1 (SP1)?

What kind of anti-virus software are you running?

What kind of software are you using to download files and view streaming videos. If it is through a web browser, exactly which browser are you running?

When you say it just freezes, do you mean that the video or download stops but the software still seems to run OK? Does the software completely freeze up or does Windows itself stop functioning?

How is your computer connecting to the Internet? If you are on a local network with other computers, do they have the same type of problem?

3. teebeejee

teebeejee

i think i have the same problem as this guy, i'll answer your questions:

i have updated my windows as much as i can, but it's xp not vista.

i was running kaspersky, which after research i got because it was highly rated on several sites.

to download anything i'm just using the default windows xp "file download" is what it says on the download window.

the software looks to be running fine, the animation is working, and i can do anything else i want to on the computer.

i'm connected via wireless wifi. it's wierd because it only started very recently before which point it never had this problem before and the 2 other laptops in this condo work fine. i reformatted this computer because of other problems and this problem occured two days or so after the reformat.

4. paulwithap

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the other guy.

I have downloaded all available updates (I am running vista). I use AVG Free Edition. I use an internet browser when I am trying to download or play videos. It doesn't matter whether I use Internet Explorer or Firefox. And I also have no problems with any other computers on the network, and the problem will happen on my computer no matter what network I am using.

The computer or browser itself won't freeze up, the file just stops downloading or the video just stops playing. Sometimes I can move the video slider up and it will start to play but again only for a few seconds.

5. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

6. paulwithap

I can't run that scan, because I can't download Java.

7. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Are you using IE7?

8. tinyf

tinyf

Sorry I can't be of much help on this one but the same's recently happened to me. Any site, any video, any browser and I can start a video playing but it freezes after a few seconds. I'm running Windows XP Media Center and I'm beginnig to think it has something to do with the XP Service Pack 3 I downloaded round about the same time. Loading Internet Explorer has slowed as well and I get the same problem in Firefox.

Another site has suggested it could be due to corrupted or outdated video card drivers or out of date or non-present chipset drivers for the motherboard.

9. tinyf

tinyf

This might help Tebeejee. Since my last post I finally got to talk to someone at my ISP who knew what they were taliking about. Seems my IP address was showing as the wrong one so they reconfigured to the correct one and my Internet service worked again. It seems our wireless set-up had started using my son's games machine's IP address.

As soon as the problem was sorted downloaded videos on all sites played without problems.

10. blueyoda

blueyoda

I have the same problem as these guys. It began about two days ago. I have a linksys wireless system as well.

It just seemed to start all at once. I was downloading about 6 files which normally goes pretty fast then it was like about 2 hours for one file. Worse than dial up. I have downloaded some video files that can take up to 6 hours or more. Download speeds seem to be between nothing and 11kb as a high. It does not matter what program I use to download. All run the same, slow or slower.

I checked my ins settings and reset to auto as it always is.

I done a repair on the settings. Removed cookies and cash. tried about 3 different browsers. I have an xp system and all the updates are in place. no viruses found.

I have done about 3 restarts as well.

Really could use some help.

11. HusheR

HusheR

Hi, I think I have much or less the same problem here.

When I download something with Internet Explorer, it just stops downloading at a random point, sometimes at 30%, sometimes at 70 or 90%. As the other guys said, the animation says it's downloading, the speed never changes, but more data doesn't come. It's the same with Firefox or Opera. Yet, I have no problems with downloading anything with a P2P software.

My modem is not wireless, but when I set up a wireless one, I have no problems with a laptop, but with my computer it's the same. When I try with another PC, there is no problem, whether the modem is wireless or not.

Another problem is that I can't receive or send instant messages on Windows Live Messenger. It happens to be sent, no 'The following message cannot be sent to all recipients' error, but it just doesn't go to the other side.

I'm running XP. I'm connected via LAN cable (which makes me think it's a hardware error, inside the computer).

I have this problem for like nearly a year and it's driving me nuts. So I would very much appreciate any help.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice