1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Download From Specific Site...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rwoody81, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rwoody81

rwoody81 Thread Starter

Hi everyone! Okay, so over the past couple years, I have been downloading some music from a favorite site of mine called livingelectro.com. Don't worry, it's a legit site, and it's been working great for me until just recently. The other day when I tried to download some tracks, I would click the download link, but nothing would happen.

The first thing I checked was other download sites. I have no problems downloading stuff from anywhere else. Next, I wondered if it was my browser. I currently use Chrome, but I downloaded Firefox, and even tried IE. No luck. Next, I disconnected my WIFI and connected to the internet via smartphone tether, and VOILA! The download worked! So I figured maybe it was my router. I had recently changed the password (although I didn't think that would affect it) so I reset the router back to its factory settings. Unfortunately, resetting the router did not help. I am at a loss here.

I have contacted other users of the site, and they have not reported any difficulty downloading from it. Just for fun, I tried to download at work, and it worked just fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my browser. I have done the same for Java too. I'm running out of ideas here. Nothing has changed with my ISP. (and if it did, it should affect more than one site) Just to make things more weird, my tablet has the same issue. It doesn't work on WIFI, but it does work on my tethered cell network. I also tried my wife's laptop (Win8), and downloading from that site doesn't work either.

So 3 different devices won't work, which tells me it's a network issue...but only with one website? The download does work on another network. My router is back at its factory settings, so I can't imagine it's in there. I don't know, my head hurts.:confused:

If it helps, I am on an HP ProBook 6460B, running windows 7 Pro. Chrome browser. HughesNet internet service. Belkin AC1200 DBG wireless router. My tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, also using Chrome. And my wife's laptop is a Toshiba running Windows 8.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. rwoody81

rwoody81 Thread Starter

Yup, I read that page and tried the different methods. No luck. According to the various posts on the forums, the only way to change the IP is to unplug the modem and wait (could be days, weeks, or even months) until another user with the same ISP needs a new IP address, at which point they would take over mine, releasing it from my modem. I could disconnect for a few hours overnight, but anything more than that isn't really feasible since I rely on this connection for my work also. I also tried the Clone MAC address option, but it didnt seem to have an effect.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your IP address is listed on several blacklists. If the site in question happens to use any of those you'll need to get your ISP to get the IP off the blacklist.

5. Phantom010

Perhaps you could ask your ISP?

6. rwoody81

rwoody81 Thread Starter

You lost me. My IP address is on blacklists? So you mean the IP address for my home network is being blocked by someone? Who, and what are these blacklists? Where can I find them?

7. rwoody81

rwoody81 Thread Starter

scratch that. Clicked the link.

8. rwoody81

rwoody81 Thread Starter

This is ridiculous. All this junk about being blacklisted and can't change IP's. I'm just an average joe trying to use the internet from my couch. I'm not a spammer, or any other negative user that justifies being blacklisted on any database, let alone several of them. This isn't worth the trouble to be able to use one website. Thanks anyway guys for your help. I'm just gonna give up and move on.

9. Phantom010

It has nothing to do with you being a spammer or not. Your IP is probably part of a IP range that has been used by real spammers. It may be that at one point your IP address was flagged and blocked by some servers. Or, someone who was once assigned that IP address was blacklisted.

10. rwoody81

rwoody81 Thread Starter

Thanks again for the help, and clarification. Unless there's some other way besides calling my ISP and/or blacklists and begging for removal, it's not worth the trouble to me. The Internet gods clearly have some issue with me using the site, so I'll just find another way. If you guys think of anything else this could be, let me know.

11. Phantom010

As a workaround, use Firefox with the free Hola add-on, until a new IP address is assigned to you. It's a free VPN. It'll bypass your IP address and let you access the downloads. It works and it's easy to install into your browser. I just tried it. However, like all free VPN's or proxy servers, there are limitations and occasional connection interruptions. I would only use it when having problems connecting to some websites.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice