1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant download Microsoft Updates: Administrators Only Message

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Ramgon1280, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ramgon1280

Ramgon1280 Thread Starter

I have been trying to download the updates but an error page pops up saying that I dont have permission and that I need an Administrator. I have Windows ME. Any ideas?

2. K-Man

K-Man

Wish I were answering Ramgon1280, but the truth is: I have the same problem with Win98. Microsoft has been of absolutely no help in resolving this issue either. They want me to attempt to edit my registry!!!

Well Ramgon1280, looks like we're in this one together!

3. K-Man

K-Man

Anyone know anything more about this one?

4. TOGG

TOGG

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you because Updates still work on my Win 98 computer (although I get occasional freezes and failures which may be due to the restrictions I have placed on IE).To get it to work, I had to place WU in my Trusted Zone, but that's unlikely to help you because you can already get to the site before your problem starts.

Just as a matter of interest, are you still using the v.4 update software ie;http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp I know that there is now a v.5 but I don't think that you could have got that 'by accident' and I don't think it works on '98 anyway, but it might be worth checking.

5. ruffnredy

ruffnredy

I have XE Pro and tried to update w/SP2. Said I had to download a program to install. I did. (can't remember what or where it went) Now I can't install update. I click on the recomended update and after it checks my computer this is what I get:

[Error number: 0x80072EE2]
    Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:
    For self-help options:

Windows Update Response Center

Windows Update Troubleshooter

Windows Update Newsgroups
    For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

I'll post this as a thread & see if anyone has a suggestion.

6. TOGG

TOGG

I have seen it suggested (on another Forum) that this problem, in XP, can be due to the XP firewall clashing with a third party firewall, and the advice given was to disable the XP one.

I have no idea if it's correct because I don't have XP.

7. K-Man

K-Man

Thanks to TOGG & ruffnredy...

You see, my computer used to be used for a business, so I guess when I set up for multiple users, I eliminated the ability to log into the system as administrator. There is no option other than to log in as myself or my brother, and neither of us is this administrator.

Thanks for the tips on resources, but I've already tried geting help through MS, and I've just given up on the whole thing as far as help from them is concerned. Microsoft simply does not care about their customers. Symantec (makers of Norton) is now so closely tied to MS that they are the same way.

Any other ideas, or is there anything further I can tell to help?

Thanks again!

P.S. Related thread here: http://forums.techguy.org/t274326.html

8. K-Man

K-Man

I still haven't received any help from Microsoft on this one. They're about as useful as screen doors on a submarine...

Wonder if ramgon1280 had any better luck... :rolleyes:

9. bearqst

bearqst

K-man and Ramgon1280,

Have you tried to logon as "adminsitrator" with no PW ?

Or any attempts at logging on as an admin account ?

10. K-Man

K-Man

Now that I've switched to IE6, I get a message about adding Windows update to my "trusted sites" list. Unfortunately, Microsoft must have had their collective heads up their collective backsides... because IE will not add the URL for their own site!

Why? It says that sites can only be added which are https, the "s" meaning secure, and the windows update URL is http... period!

I wish MS was more helpful than this, but you know what they say: Wish in one hand, and spit in the other, and see which one fills up first!

Thanks for the suggestions bearqst, but I'm afraid I can't even get as far as before now...

11. TOGG

TOGG

12. bearqst

bearqst

I'd try TOGG's suggestions a try.

Still won't resolve your issue with the admin user though, which I would be more concerned about at the moment. Try various admin possible logons and see if you can "hack" the admin account to open.

Although you may get the updates installed if Togg's sugestions works, you'll have future problems without an admin account you can access.

You said earlier that you eliminated the abilty to logon as admin. Have tried booting in safe mode and seeing you can get in with the old admin account ?

Worth a shot, if not I'd rebuild the system to get the admin account back.

13. K-Man

K-Man

Okay, bear with me here, 'cause my last comp was a 486 w/Win3.1 and no internet. All of this security stuff is pretty new to me.

TOGG: Tried all your suggestions. Big nada. Can't use the URLs as is, and adding the "s" just gives me "page not found".

bearqst: I have no clue as to how to get to the administrator info, even in safe mode. I can't really "rebuild" either, as I have none of the original software on disc, nor do I have a way to backup except floppies... which would take approximately 700 disks.

Anything else I can do?

Anyone know if Ramgon1280 has had any success?

Thanks everyone!

14. bearqst

bearqst

I have one last thought for updating. Go to

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/

click on the "Windows 98 Updates" and see if you can manually install the updates. Problem will be not knowing what updates you actually need -v- those you already have.

Good luck. You might consider upgrading the OS

A side note: you said earlier that "used to be used for a business" did you buy it used ? is it possible to contact the company you brought it from and get admin access info ?

15. K-Man

K-Man

Well; I got past the administrator thing by pretty much shutting off all my security. I got all the way to the download, which was 18 updates for security, but when I start the download... It just sits there at 0 out of however many Megabytes. It just refuses to go. I don't think the problem is in my comp, because I downloaded IE6 earlier today with no problem.

I'm at my wits end on this one. (Did I mention that Microsoft stinks?)

Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!